About This Chapter
Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing - Chapter Summary
Whether you want to learn about psychosocial concerns in nursing for the first time or hope to quickly refresh your training, this short chapter can help. Fun lessons closely examine psychosocial health, institutional care, social support and more to help you gain full comprehension in a short period of time. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- Define and list components and traits of psychosocial health
- Explain Maslow's hierarchy of needs
- Discuss hypotheses about the impact of social support on stress
- List factors and positive steps for improving psychosocial health
- Identify and describe psychosocial theories of aging
- Share types of community-based health care services for the elderly
- Describe different forms of institutional care for older adults
Enjoy the ability to access the lessons in this chapter as short videos or written transcripts based on your personal learning and study style. If you watch the videos, take advantage of clickable timelines that let you quickly identify and jump to key topics. The transcripts can be printed to review offline. Accompanying all the lessons are short quizzes designed to test your knowledge of psychosocial concerns in nursing. Any questions you have about specific lesson topics can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. What Is Psychosocial Health? - Definition, Components & Traits
Psychosocial health includes four important components of well-being. We'll go over what they are and what traits people with good psychosocial health share in this video lesson.
2. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
Why is it that when some of our needs aren't met, it's almost impossible to concentrate on other ones? Psychologist Abraham Maslow spent his career looking for these answers. Watch this lesson to learn about some of his most important conclusions.
3. Social Support and Stress: Emotional vs. Instrumental Support
Social support is an important tool for coping with stress. There are two main and contradicting hypotheses about the role of social support in stressful situations: the buffering hypothesis and the main effects hypothesis. In this lesson, we'll learn more about social support and its effects on stress.
4. Improving Psychosocial Health - Factors & Positive Steps
What characterizes psychosocial health? This lesson focuses on the important factors that influence an individual's psychosocial health and the positive steps that can be taken to improve psychosocial health.
5. Psychosocial Theories of Aging: Activity Theory, Continuity Theory & Disengagement Theory
Growing older - we all do it. How we grow older successfully is debatable. There are many theories that have been hypothesized about this life transition. This lesson explores three such ways.
6. Community-Based Health Care Services for the Elderly
Many people work hard to bring health care to elderly patients without making them travel to the doctor. Watch this video to find out about community-based health care options for the elderly, including what they are and common types of them.
7. Institutional Care for Older Adults
As people age, staying in their home is not always possible. In this lesson, we'll explore institutional care for older adults, including examining different types of institutional care and how to know if a person is ready for it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Role of Nurse Aides
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Personal Care in Nursing
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Nutrition Basics for Nurses
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care