About This Chapter
Pulmonary Nursing Actions for Patient Management - Chapter Summary
From oxygenation procedures to care for pulmonary emergencies, this chapter covers most aspects of pulmonary patient management. You can find review of non-invasive ventilation systems, pulmonary medications and the use of chest tubes for some pulmonary disorders. In addition, you can learn about sedation practices and nursing intervention methods to respond to pulmonary emergencies. Once you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Detail oxygenation techniques
- List types of non-invasive positive pressure ventilation systems
- Describe tracheostomies with mechanical ventilation
- Recognize the need for chest tubes to treat some pulmonary patients
- Manage patients who require thoracentesis
- Understand how to administer pulmonary medications and monitor patients
- Discuss sedation procedures and possible complications of sedation
- Provide details about nursing protocols in response to pulmonary emergencies
All video and text lessons contained in this chapter are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can create a flexible study schedule. Expert instructors are easily reached with any questions via a short online contact form. Take lesson quizzes to determine your level of understanding as you progress through the chapter.
1. Techniques Used to Promote Oxygenation
Have you ever wondered why there are so many different ways to deliver oxygen to patients? Learn more about the different techniques that are used to promote and maintain oxygen and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Mechanical Ventilation: Conventional & Non-Conventional
There are several different types of mechanical ventilation, which include the use of both conventional and non-conventional ventilators. Check out this lesson to learn about these different types of mechanical ventilators!
3. Chest Tubes: Indications & Patient Management
This lesson describes the anatomy of the pleural cavity and conditions that are indications for the insertion of a chest tube. The nursing role in tube insertion and ongoing monitoring and assessment of patients with chest tubes is emphasized.
4. Thoracentesis: Indication & Patient Management
A thoracentesis is a procedure that is done to remove excess fluid from the pleural space. This lesson will discuss the indications and management of a thoracentesis.
5. Procedural Sedation: Monitoring & Complications
In this lesson, you'll learn about procedural sedation, its adverse effects, and common agents used to achieve adequate sedation. You'll also learn the importance of identifying at-risk patients and dealing appropriately with adverse effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN PCCN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Acute Coronary & Inflammatory Diseases of the Heart
- Acute & Chronic Heart Diseases & Conditions
- Understanding Dysrhythmias
- Understanding Heart Defects & Failure
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cardiovascular Assessment & Disease Monitoring in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Cardiovascular Surgical Interventions & Emergencies in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Medication Administration in Nursing
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Understanding Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Pleural Space Abnormalities
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Endocrine Disorders Overview
- Hematologic, Immunologic & Oncologic Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disorder Overview
- Nursing Actions for Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Overview of Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Disorders
- Neurological Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Neurological Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing