About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering SAT subject test in literature material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn literature concepts for the SAT. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding strategies for reading and understanding essays in literature
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn how to read and understand essays in literature for the SAT
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra literature learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Reading and Understanding Essays in Literature chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Reading and Understanding Essays in Literature chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about reading and understanding essays in literature. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a reading and understanding essays in literature unit of a standard SAT subject test in literature course. Topics covered include:
- Getting the gist of an essay
- Improving reading comprehension
- Using context to determine the meaning of words
- Determining the best audience for an essay
- Editing essays by other writers
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
3. How to Determine the Best Audience or Readers for an Essay
Who should be reading this? Not every essay can be enjoyed by everyone equally. How do you know who is the best target for an essay? This lesson will help you figure that out.
4. Peer Editing: How to Edit Essays By Other Writers
Alfred Sheinwold once said, 'Learn all you can from the mistakes of others.' A great way to improve your own writing is by editing the writing of others - especially when you have to find the not so obvious mistakes. That is what we will be learning in this lesson - how to edit the work of other writers. The biggest benefit will be in helping you avoid those same mistakes in your own writing.
5. Famous Australian Fairy Tales
Australian fairy tales reflect the Aboriginal culture they came from, and were preserved by famous folklorists, including Andrew Lang. In this lesson, you will be introduced to only a handful of these famous fairy tales.
6. How the Kangaroo Got Her Pouch: Story & Legend
In this lesson we cover the legend of ''How the Kangaroo Got Her Pouch'' and how the legend was a part of the oral tradition in Australia. Read this summary to learn the legend of the kangaroo's pouch.
7. Dreamtime Aboriginal Stories: Culture & Creation
In this lesson, we will examine how the Aboriginal Dreamtime stories shape the culture of indigenous Australians. Further, we will summarize the creation stories.
8. Aboriginal Dreamtime Stories About the Land
In this lesson, we will examine some of the Aboriginal Dreamtime stories that explain land formations. Dreamtime stories explain how the ancestral spirits, people, and land come together to explain the laws of life.
9. The Rainbow Serpent in Aboriginal Mythology: Story & Myth
Threaded into Australian culture is a rainbow serpent believed to be responsible for giving life and issuing punishment. In this lesson, you'll learn more about this mythical creature and one of the stories it inspired.
10. Aboriginal Dreamtime Stories About the Sun & Moon
Dreamtime stories have been passed down by the Aboriginal people for generations to explain natural phenomenon. In this lesson, we will summarize some of the Aboriginal Dreamtime stories that explain the origins of the sun and the moon.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Literature: Help and Review course
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning in Literature: Help and Review
- Figurative Language in Literature: Help and Review
- Language and Sentence Structure: Help and Review
- Writing Structure & Organization in Literature: Help and Review
- Literary Genres: Help and Review
- Poetry Terms & Types: Help and Review
- Drama: Help and Review
- Literary Periods in American History: Help and Review
- Analyzing American Literature: Help and Review
- Prominent Plays & Playwrights: Help and Review
- American Novelists: Help and Review
- Periods in English Literature: Help and Review
- Authors & Works from English Literature: Help and Review