About This Chapter
Respiratory Bacterial Infections - Chapter Summary
If you need a resource that can help you better understand respiratory bacterial infections, you've reached the right place! This chapter offers in-depth analyses of tuberculosis, strep throat, bacterial meningitis and other infections. Explore fun lessons in this chapter as short videos or full transcripts, and test your comprehension of the concepts they cover by taking accompanying quizzes. If you have questions about the lessons, feel free to submit them to our experts. When finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss causes, symptoms and treatments of diphtheria
- Share causes and symptoms of pertussis
- Explain the cause of Legionnaires' disease and discuss symptoms and treatment
- Provide details about the diagnosis, treatments and latency of tuberculosis
- Describe the cause, symptoms and treatments of strep throat
- List symptoms and treatments of bacterial meningitis and discuss its transmission
- Detail causes, signs and treatments of bacterial pneumonia
1. What Is Diphtheria? - Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss a bacterium known as Corynebacterium diphtheria, the disease diphtheria, exotoxins, endotoxins, A-B toxins, pseudomembranes, bull-necks, and more!
2. Pertussis: Cause & Symptoms of Whooping Cough
This lesson will describe Bordetella pertussis, whooping cough, the hundred days' cough, respiratory cilia, and the signs, symptoms, prevention, and treatment associated with pertussis.
3. Legionnaires' Disease: Cause, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson discusses something known as Legionnaires' disease. We will talk about the bacterium responsible for this disease, how amoebae may be involved, the signs of this disease, and whether or not any treatment option exists for it.
4. Tuberculosis: Diagnosis, Treatments & Latency
This lesson will discuss the disease known as tuberculosis. We will talk about mycobacterium tuberculosis, latent TB, TB disease, mycolic acid, and the symptoms, signs, and treatments used for this terrible disease.
5. Strep Throat: Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something we've almost all had: strep throat. We'll discuss beta-hemolysis, Streptococcus pyogenes, pharyngitis, halitosis, pus, and all sorts of other things pertaining to strep throat.
6. Bacterial Meningitis: Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will discuss something known as bacterial meningitis. We'll talk about the causes of this condition, ways by which you can get it, diagnosis and treatments strategies, as well as the symptoms and signs associated with bacterial meningitis.
7. Bacterial Pneumonia: Causes, Signs & Treatments
This lesson will discuss the causes of bacterial pneumonia. We'll also look into how bacterial pneumonia is diagnosed and treated as well as the common signs and symptoms associated with this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview