About This Chapter
SAT Reading: About the Reading Section - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to find out how long you'll have to complete the SAT reading section. In addition to the structure of the test, you can learn how the answers are scored and the level of difficulty assigned to test questions.
Instructors also outline strategies for tackling questions that assess your reading comprehension skills by asking you to read a series of written passages and answer questions about their implied or stated meanings. You can also learn how to respond to questions requiring you to read a sentence with a missing word or phrase, and select the option that makes the most sense to complete it. Altogether, this chapter is designed to familiarize you with:
- The reading section structure
- The difficulty pattern and scoring
- SAT reading strategies
Our SAT reading chapter features plenty of resources to help the process of studying for a college entrance exam seem a little less daunting. In addition to illustrated video lessons that break down content into manageable portions, there are corresponding transcripts that allow you to work through the material at your own pace. The self-assessment quizzes can also help reaffirm your understanding of SAT reading exam content and test-taking strategies.
SAT Reading: About the Reading Section - Chapter Objectives
This chapter can give you an idea of how you might use the following chapters' test prep lessons to your advantage. These provide you with sentence completion exercises, tips for strengthening your vocabulary and techniques for determining a text's main ideas, themes and points of view - all with the goal of helping you ace the 65-minute reading section's 52 questions.
1. Structure of the SAT Reading Section: Structure, Patterns & Scoring
In this lesson, you'll learn what to expect on the reading section of the SAT, including how the sections are organized, how the scoring works and how this can help you raise your score on the test.
2. SAT Reading: Passage Types, Content & Subjects
In this lesson, you'll get some helpful hints for the types of passages on the SAT reading section. Learn how to organize passages according to their goals and subjects to build confidence for the test.
3. Vocabulary on the Revised SAT
In this lesson, we'll explore the changes to the vocabulary questions on the revised SAT. We'll learn the types of words that may appear on the test, see an example of a question related to those words, and discuss methods for studying for this new test.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Flashcards