About This Chapter
Six Sigma Process Improvement - Chapter Summary
The corporate training lessons in this chapter cover the key components of improving the Six Sigma process. The chapter was designed to help your employees with the following:
- Methods of process improvement
- Six Sigma mapping
- Data stratification
- Cost of quality
- Six Sigma quality control
Short and concise lessons clearly lay out the essentials of these topics, and they include interactive quizzes that help employees check their understanding of the material in the lessons. If your employees are struggling to understand a concept or a specific lesson, they have the opportunity to reach out to our expert instructors, who would be happy to answer any questions.
How It Helps
- Emphasizes teamwork: Employees that utilize the lessons in this chapter will learn important Six Sigma process methods that are essential to working with others.
- Improves communication: When employees implement the lessons of this chapter in the workplace, they will communicate the needs of the business more effectively.
- Promotes uniformity: When the methods and processes in this chapter are used, your employees will implement uniform methods that can be used and understood by anyone in the workplace.
After working through the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Define the DMAIC process of Six Sigma
- Contrast the DMAIC and DMADV Six Sigma processes
- Describe the methods that are used to improve these processes
- Recall a template that is used for a problem statement
- Discuss the measurement system analysis that is used for Six Sigma processes
- Define data stratification
- Examine the model, formula and metrics used for cost of quality
- Explain the quality control process of Six Sigma
1. The DMAIC Process of Six Sigma
Six Sigma offers a clear, scientific way to solve problems that arise in business. But how, exactly, can it be implemented? In this lesson, we'll examine the most common Six Sigma process, DMAIC, including what it is and its advantages.
2. Six Sigma's DMADV Process
Project teams use Six Sigma to limit the number of product defects during manufacturing. In this lesson, you will learn about DMADV, which is one of the two branches of this framework.
3. Six Sigma: DMAIC vs. DMADV
Six Sigma methodology focuses on reducing defects in the manufacturing process. In this lesson, you will learn about two sub-methodologies: DMAIC and DMADV.
4. Process Improvement Methodologies
This lesson examines the most common process improvement methodologies used by organizations. These process improvement methodologies aim to enable organizations harness a culture of continuous improvement.
5. Six Sigma Problem Statement: Examples & Template
In order to run efficiently, companies need to identify any problems with production. One way to do this is to implement Six Sigma. In this lesson we will learn how to express a problem through the use of a problem statement.
6. Six Sigma Process Mapping
Process mapping provides a powerful visual tool, which can be utilized during multiple phases of a Six Sigma project. This lesson provides and overview of process mapping, when and how it is used, and several guidelines for its use.
7. Measurement System Analysis
When measuring quality, we need to make sure our tools and processes are accurate. Even the slightest variation can have a huge impact. This lesson will define a method for analyzing measurement systems.
8. What is Data Stratification?
Interpreting data can be overwhelming. Breaking the information down into smaller, more relatable bits of information can make the collected data easier to understand. This lesson depicts data stratification and its involvement in the Six Sigma process.
9. Cost of Quality (COQ): Model & Metrics
This lesson will explain the standard components that make up a business' cost of quality and then walk through an example to illustrate the use of cost of quality metrics.
10. Cost of Quality (COQ): Formula & Analysis
How does a business prevent or correct the delivery of a bad product or service? In this lesson, we'll discuss the cost of quality (COQ) and different ways to analyze costs associated with prevention and measuring against standards (pre- and post-delivery).
11. Six Sigma: Quality Control & Improvement
Six Sigma can be a useful tool for companies wanting to control the defects and variations in their processes. This means also implementing excellent quality control. Come along as we learn how quality control can help provide products with the highest quality possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.