About This Chapter
Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
How much do you already know about sleep and sedation in critical care? This chapter can help you find out! Fun lessons and short quizzes can enhance and test your understanding of disturbed sleep patterns, moderate sedation and more. If you need to clarify information covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit your questions to our experts. A practice exam is also available to reinforce concepts examined in all of the lessons. Completing this chapter can help you understand:
- Symptoms and diagnosis of disturbed sleep patterns
- The nursing care plan for disturbed sleep patterns
- Policy, guidelines and drugs for moderate sedation
- Basics of moderate conscious sedation
- Patient delirium management
|Disturbed Sleep Patterns: Diagnosis & Symptoms||Study the diagnosis and symptoms of disturbed sleep patterns.|
|Disturbed Sleep Patterns: Nursing Care Plan||Examine the care plan used in nursing when managing disturbed sleep patterns.|
|Moderate Sedation: Definition, Policy & Guidelines||Define moderate sedation, and understand its policy and guidelines.|
|Moderate Sedation Drugs||Learn the types of drugs used in moderate sedation.|
|Moderate Conscious Sedation||Understand and describe moderate conscious sedation.|
|How to Manage Patient Delirium||Review steps involved in managing patient delirium.|
1. Disturbed Sleep Patterns: Diagnosis & Symptoms
We all know sleep is very important to our physical and mental well-being, so disturbances to our sleep are serious health concerns. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the diagnosis techniques of disturbances, as well as associated symptoms.
2. Disturbed Sleep Patterns: Nursing Care Plan
This lesson will define a nursing care plan, explore the impact of disturbed sleep patterns, and examine how a nursing care plan can be useful in managing disturbed sleep patterns. Read on to learn more.
3. Moderate Sedation: Definition, Policy & Guidelines
In this lesson we will discuss what qualifies as moderate sedation, policies for it, as well as some guidelines when performing it. We will also briefly touch on the possible complications.
4. Moderate Sedation Drugs
This lesson introduces the different levels of sedation and then focuses on the drugs used for moderate sedation. Explore what kinds of drugs are commonly used, their side effects, and risks associated with their use.
5. Moderate Conscious Sedation
This lesson is going to briefly cover consciousness and the levels of sedation. We will focus on moderate conscious sedation, including why and how it is done and the associated risks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Dislocations of the Feet & Toes
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases