Research Methods in Sociology
What is sociological research? Do you know what the positivist, interpretive and critical approaches are to sociological research? In these lessons, you will figure out the answers to both of those questions and more. You will learn things like the difference between a cross-sectional study and longitudinal study. In addition, the lessons will cover the following:
- An overview of research design methodology and the types of research design - archival, case studies, field/naturalistic studies, survey/interview studies, experiments and quasi-experiments
- A discussion of the aspects of true experimental design, including independent vs. dependent variables, experimental vs. control groups and samples vs. populations
- The advantages and disadvantages of quantitative vs. qualitative research
- How to interpret correlations in research results, including the difference between positive and negative correlations and what the number indicates
- How to assess the quality of a research study with an explanation of internal validity, external validity, ecological validity and reliability
We hope you get the most out of our engaging video lessons. Each one is designed to present the information in a straightforward, accessible manner. Since our video lessons are taught by experts on the subject, including current and former college professors and instructors, the quality of the information is top-notch. Thanks for watching!