About This Chapter
Sports for Kids - Chapter Summary
This chapter on sports history and facts is designed for elementary school students. Inside the chapter, your students will find short and fun lessons that highlight interesting facts about popular sports, including hockey, soccer, football and basketball. Your students will have the opportunity to reinforce their understanding of these sports by taking the chapter's interactive self-assessment quizzes. The chapter is available whenever it's convenient, and you can use any Internet-connected device to access it.
- Basketball facts
- The history of football
- Facts about hockey
- Soccer history
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help learning about different types of sports will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about sports like basketball, football, hockey and soccer.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding sports history
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about sports
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about sports (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about sports
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without humanities resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the sports topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts and highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about sports.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands facts about different sports by completing the Sports for Kids chapter exam.
1. Basketball Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
One of America's favorite pastimes is basketball. In this lesson, we will learn how the sport got started, how it has changed throughout the years, and how it is one of the most popular sports now in America.
2. Football Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Football is one of the most popular sports in America! In this lesson, learn about the history of football and how this game grew from other sports, and find out some interesting facts about football.
3. Hockey Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Hockey is a popular winter sport in many areas. In this lesson, learn how hockey was created, discover the history of the sport, and learn how people today enjoy watching and playing hockey.
4. Soccer Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
In this lesson, you'll learn about the history of one of the most popular sports in the world: soccer. You'll also get to know the basic rules and equipment needed to play what is sometimes called, 'The Beautiful Game'.
5. Horse Racing Facts: Lesson for Kids
Horse racing is a very old sport followed by fans around the world. In this lesson, find out where race horses came from, and discover the names of the most important and respected races.
6. Sports in Japan: Lesson for Kids
Japan is famous for a number of their sports, some unique to the islands and some borrowed from the outside world. Meanwhile, many Japanese athletes are known around the world for their skills. Learn about Japan's favorite sports in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Humanities for Kids course