About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Stoichiometry chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Balancing chemical equations and mole-to-mole ratios||Conservation of matter, coefficient, stoichiometry, mole, molar mass, mole ratio, mole-to-mole calculations|
|Tuesday||Mass calculations and calculating relative quantities||Mole-to-mass, mass-to-mole, mass-to-mass, molar volume, molarity, gases, solutions|
|Wednesday||Calculations with limiting reactants||Excess reactant, theoretical yield, actual yield, percent yield|
|Thursday||Empirical formulas and percent composition||Chemical formula, molar mass, mass percentage, percentage composition, mass composition, mole|
|Friday||Formulas for hydrates||Anhydrate, hydrate, mole ratio|
1. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
2. Mole-to-Mole Ratios and Calculations of a Chemical Equation
Learn what a mole ratio is and how to determine and write the mole ratio relating two substances in a chemical equation in this video lesson. Also, learn to make mole-to-mole calculations and solve problems involving moles of substances.
3. Mass-to-Mass Stoichiometric Calculations
Learn how to set up and make mole to mass, mass to mole and mass to mass stoichiometric calculations. Learn how the ratios of moles helps you compare and make calculations. Learn how to relate mole ratios to molar mass.
4. Stoichiometry: Calculating Relative Quantities in a Gas or Solution
In this lesson, learn about molar volume and how to set up and make stoichiometric calculations with gases. Then learn about solution stoichiometry and how to make stoichiometric calculations with solutions.
5. Limiting Reactants & Calculating Excess Reactants
In this lesson, you'll learn what limiting reactant and excess reactant mean and how to determine which reactant is limiting in a chemical reaction when given the amount of each reactant. You'll also discover how to calculate the amount of product produced.
6. Calculating Reaction Yield and Percentage Yield from a Limiting Reactant
Learn what the theoretical yield, actual yield and percent yield are. Given the limiting reactant, learn how to calculate the theoretical reaction yield, which is also known as the ideal reaction yield and percentage yield.
7. Calculating Percent Composition and Determining Empirical Formulas
Learn the difference between the empirical formula and chemical formula. Learn how to calculate the percent composition of an element in a compound. Learn how, if given a percent composition, to determine the empirical formula for a compound.
8. Hydrates: Determining the Chemical Formula From Empirical Data
Learn the definition of a hydrate and an anhydrate in this lesson. Discover how, when given experimental data, you can determine the formula of a hydrate by following simple steps that include finding the moles of hydrate and anhydrate and comparing the two to write the formula.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Chemistry Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Experimental Chemistry and Introduction to Matter Lesson Plans
- Atom: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Nuclear Chemistry: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Chemical Bonding: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Liquids and Solids: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Gases: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Solutions: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Chemical Reactions: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Equilibrium: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Kinetics: General Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Thermodynamics: General Chemistry Lesson Plans