About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the stress disorders concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about stress disorders and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding emotions, positive psychology or any other stress disorders topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their stress disorders unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about stress disorders simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live abnormal psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about stress disorders on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define stress disorders.
- Understand the physiological characteristics of emotions.
- Learn how the brain processes and categorizes different types of emotions.
- Examine the different theories of emotion.
- Discuss the reasons for freezing, fighting or fleeing when faced with a stressful situation.
- Describe the causes and treatment of acute stress disorder.
- Explore the different types of psychophysiological disorders, and understand their causes and treatment.
- Learn how to apply positive psychology to the treatment of stress disorders.
1. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
2. Emotions in Psychology: Definition, Biological Components & Survival
When railroad worker Phineas Gage's brain was injured in 1848, his emotions completely changed. Find out what parts of the brain affect your emotional intelligence and what made Phineas go from happy-go-lucky guy to crabby curmudgeon.
3. Categories of Emotion: 6 Basic Emotions, Oppositional Pairs & Biology
Have you ever wondered why you can react to danger before you even really realize it's there? Or why you can recognize an expression of happiness on someone's face, no matter where the person is from? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this lesson about the different types of emotions and how the brain processes them.
4. Theories of Emotion: James-Lange, Cannon-Bard, Two-Factor & Facial Feedback Hypothesis
Have you ever wondered how your emotions are related to your physical reactions? Does your heart beat fast because you're excited, or are you excited because your heart is beating fast? Psychologists have taken a turn at figuring out how our physiological reactions are connected to emotions. Take a look at this lesson for more on the most important theories of emotion.
5. Fight or Flight Response: Definition, Physiology & Examples
A squirrel caught in headlights or the cock that fights to the death? Do you know what makes us choose between freezing, running or fighting back? And what's happening inside of you all the while? This lesson answers all of your fight-or-flight questions.
6. Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
When people experience a traumatic event, it can lead to all sorts of psychological problems. In this lesson, we'll look at one reaction to trauma: acute stress disorder. We'll examine the diagnostic criteria, risk factors, and treatments, and then test our knowledge with a quiz.
7. Psychophysiological Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment
Psychological issues can affect a person's physical body. In this lesson, we'll look closer at psychophysiological disorders, including the different types, diseases affected by mental illness, and treatment.
8. Positive Psychology: Optimism, Self-Efficacy & Happiness
There are folks who see the glass half-full and those who see if half-empty. But it's the same glass, so why does it matter what kind you are? Find out just how big of an impact your answer to this common question can have on how you live your life.
9. Abuse of Women: Signs, Effects & Types
Millions of women around the world experience abuse. This lesson will focus on domestic abuse and its different forms, the signs of a typical abusive relationship, and the effects that abuse can have on the victim.
10. Alarm Stage of Stress: Definition & Explanation
What would you do if you were walking down a city street and heard gunshots? Would you try to find out who was firing the gun, or would you run the other way? According to endocrinologist Hans Selye, the alarm stage of stress might cause you to run away, a stage we'll explore in this lesson.
11. Domestic Violence and Sociology: Definition & Effects
This lesson defines domestic violence and gives examples of what domestic abuse can be. The effects of domestic violence for adults, children, adolescents, and families are also discussed.
12. HPA Axis and Stress: Function & Definition
In this lesson, you'll learn about the neurobiological system and mechanisms that initiate a reaction to a perceived threat. We'll discuss how adrenaline works in your body when you are threatened by something, whether it is an aggressive lioness or a fender bender.
13. Long-Term Stress: Symptoms & Effects
You probably know what it's like to feel 'stressed out.' What you might not know is that high levels of stress left unattended for long periods of time can wear you down emotionally and physically. Stress in life is unavoidable. The key is recognizing the signs and learning how to manage them.
14. NREM Sleep: Stages & Measurement
Sleep is something we all do, hopefully every day. Are you familiar with the cycles of sleep? Brush up on your REM's and NREM's in this lesson. Don't worry, no napping required.
15. REM Sleep Behavior Disorder: Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that you spend about 20 percent of your sleep in the REM stage? Learn more about REM sleep behavior disorder, its symptoms, and treatment. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
16. Complex PTSD: Symptoms, Treatment & Test
Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD) is caused by repeated exposure to trauma. Learn more about this disorder in this lesson, including symptoms, testing, and treatment plans.
17. What is Stress Management? - Definition & Benefits
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of stress management, the benefits of practicing stress management and numerous stress management techniques.
18. Somatic Symptom Disorder: Definition & Symptoms
In this lesson, we will explore the definition, symptoms, and underlying characteristics of a very real condition known as somatic symptom disorder (SSD).
19. Somatic Symptoms Disorder vs. Illness Anxiety Disorder
This lesson goes over two very similar conditions. You'll learn a bit about them individually and then their major differences. They're called somatic symptom disorder and illness anxiety disorder.
20. What are Somatic Symptoms of PTSD?
This lesson will explore the somatic symptoms that are associated with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This is a hard-to-diagnose disorder due to its varied symptoms; therefore, it's necessary to explain the specifics of the somatic symptoms felt from PTSD.
21. Somatic Symptoms Disorder: Treatment & Medication
This lesson goes over the basics of a condition known as somatic symptoms disorder. You'll then learn what medications and other treatments are used for it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution