About This Chapter
Treating Bleeding Issues - Chapter Summary
What are the different types of bleeding? What are some common causes of bleeding? How does the body react to blood loss? These are the types of questions covered in the lessons comprising this chapter. You'll find detailed examples and illustrations to help you fully understand each concept discussed in these lessons.
Study is self-paced, with 24/7 accessibility from any device that allows you to refer to these lessons when it 's most convenient for you. Key terms are in bold text so you can easily identify the most important aspects of each topic. Brief self-assessment quizzes can help you determine your level of knowledge and possible need for further review in any area.
How It Helps
This basic review is a great way to brush up on information for continuing education purposes, to develop your professional skills or simply to reinforce what you know. You can also study details about treatment options that you might not have been familiar with. Completing this chapter can help you show your employer that you know how to ensure the safety and proper care of patients who are bleeding.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and relate the causes of external and internal bleeding
- Explain the signs, symptoms and treatments of internal bleeding
- List common causes of external bleeding
- Identify physiological responses to blood loss
- Relate the signs and symptoms of blood loss anemia
1. External Bleeding: Definition & Types
In this lesson we will learn about external bleeding. We will define what external bleeding is. We will also learn about the different types of external bleeding and have examples.
2. Internal Bleeding: Definition & Causes
Internal bleeding can be caused by relatively mundane medications or by some very serious problems. In this lesson, you'll find out what internal bleeding refers to and what some of its potential causes may be.
3. Internal Bleeding: Signs, Symptoms & Treatments
Internal bleeding can be difficult to spot and the signs and symptoms may vary depending on the cause of the bleeding. This lesson provides examples of the signs and symptoms of internal bleeding, as well as treatment options for this medical condition.
4. What are the Most Common Causes of External Bleeding?
In this lesson we will define what external bleeding is. We will also learn about the different types of external bleeding and their most common causes.
5. Physiological Response to Blood Loss
This article will describe the body's natural response to blood loss, clarify the amount of blood loss that can typically be tolerated, and explain how the body handles severe blood loss. The article will also describe common signs of bleeding.
6. Blood Loss Anemia: Signs & Symptoms
Blood loss anemia is a health condition that can have varied causes. In some cases it can be fully treated, but at times it can require continued therapy. This depends on the cause and type of blood loss. Read all about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of blood loss anemia in this lesson.
7. Internal Stomach Bleeding: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Internal stomach bleeding is a potentially life-threatening condition. In this lesson, you'll learn about the causes, symptoms and treatment or internal stomach bleeding.
8. Internal Bleeding in the Leg: Symptoms & Treatment
Internal bleeding in the legs can be a very serious, potentially life threatening injury. In this lesson, learn about the symptoms and treatment for internal bleeding in the legs.
9. Internal Brain Bleeding: Signs & Symptoms
This lesson will describe the various types of brain bleeding, symptoms of sudden bleeding, and symptoms of slow, gradual bleeding. We'll also explore the type of stroke that can cause bleeding and discuss the symptoms.
10. Internal Brain Bleeding: Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll be looking at what happens when one of our most important organs, the brain, gets injured and starts to bleed. We'll look at the main causes of brain bleeding and treatments.
11. Symptoms of Bleeding Out
Bleeding out, or hemorrhaging, is a scary and dangerously rapid loss of blood. In this lesson, we will review and classify the symptoms of bleeding out.
12. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Symptoms & Causes
Upper gastrointestinal bleeding can be a scary sight and can be life-threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about symptoms and causes of upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
13. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Management & Treatment
An upper gastrointestinal bleed is a serious condition and can be life threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about management and treatment for upper gastrointestinal bleeds.
14. Hemoperitoneum: Definition & Causes
Hemoperitoneum is kind of a difficult-looking term, isn't it? But this lesson clearly explains what it is. It also goes over some of the potential causes of hemoperitoneum.
15. Hemoperitoneum: Signs & Symptoms
Hemoperitoneum is a condition of blood accumulating in the peritoneal cavity. In this lesson, learn about hemoperitoneum, including the signs and symptoms of this condition.
16. Hemoperitoneum: Diagnosis & Treatment
Hemoperitoneum is a very serious condition that warrants immediate medical care. Learn all about hemoperitoneum, including its diagnosis and treatment, by reading this lesson.
17. Ruptured Spleen: Causes, Symptoms & Signs
What happens when you rupture your spleen? In this lesson, we will learn about what can cause a ruptured spleen. We will also look at signs and symptoms associated with a ruptured spleen.
18. Ruptured Spleen: Complications, Treatment & Recovery Time
A ruptured spleen is a medical emergency. In this lesson, we will learn more about complications from a ruptured spleen. We will also learn about treatment and recovery from this injury.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases