About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the treatment in abnormal psychology concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about treatment in abnormal psychology and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding group and individual therapy, social learning, community approaches to mental health treatment or any other treatment in abnormal psychology topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their treatment in abnormal psychology unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about treatment in abnormal psychology simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about treatment in abnormal psychology on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the different approaches to individual therapy.
- Explain the benefits of group therapy.
- Understand how psychiatric drugs are used to treat some common psychological disorders.
- Take a look at different types of biological treatments for mental problems.
- Discuss the ways social learning could be used as an approach to treatment.
- Learn about community approaches to mental health treatment.
- Understand how to measure the effectiveness of mental health treatments.
- Describe some of the issues associated with mental health treatment.
1. Individual Therapy
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Group Therapy
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
3. Psychiatric Drugs
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Biological Therapy
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
5. What is Social Learning in Abnormal Psychology Treatment?
In this lesson, we'll examine the effect that society has on individuals by looking at how social learning theory can explain the cause and treatment of some mental disorders.
6. Community Approaches to Mental Health Treatment: Prevention & Intervention
How are people with mental illnesses treated? In this lesson, we'll look at community mental health initiatives aimed at helping people prevent and get treatment for psychological disorders.
7. Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
8. Issues in Mental Health Treatment: Cultural Factors, Effectiveness & Empirical Validation
Although psychological treatment continues to improve, there are still some issues in this area. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cultural factors that affect treatment and the difficulty of proving treatment effectiveness via empirical validation.
9. Aaron Beck & Cognitive Therapy: Theory & Concept
Cognitive therapy is one of the major fields of psychotherapy for treating a number of psychiatric disorders. Learn more about cognitive therapy, the creator of cognitive therapy Aaron Beck, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Coping Strategy: Definition & Overview
Study the techniques that people use to handle stress. These techniques or behaviors are called coping strategies. Explore different types of coping strategies in this lesson and test your understanding with a quiz.
11. Flooding Therapy: Definition & Concept
Flooding is a type of behavioral therapy that can help people overcome specific fears. Learn how this therapy works, then test your new knowledge with a short quiz.
12. Lithium Treatment: Types, Uses & Definition
Lithium treatment has been around for over 50 years and is well known for treatment of bipolar disorder. In this lesson you will learn more about lithium and its uses. Afterward, take a quiz to confirm your understanding.
13. What Is Family Therapy? - Techniques & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about common family system problems and some of the techniques that are used in the assessment and treatment of families. After completing the lesson, you can take a short quiz to gauge your level of understanding.
14. What is Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?
This article defines and describes a new approach to treating depression called Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS). While some challenges exist, this fresh approach offers the possibility of radical relief and improvement.
15. What is Buprenorphine? - Dosage, Side Effects & Treatment
Explore how buprenorphine works, and what it was developed to treat. Learn the typical dosage and side effects. Discover how to make buprenorphine treatment as effective as possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution