About This Chapter
Types of Fiction - Chapter Summary
The text and video lessons in this chapter cover various forms of fiction. The lessons delve into the characteristics of various genres while looking at the authors who often work within them and discussing books that exemplify them. By the time you finish this chapter, you'll have reviewed all of the following:
- Novels, novellas, and short stories
- Mystery fiction
- The qualities of realistic fiction
- Traits common to science fiction
- Historical fiction and adventure stories
- Fables and related fictional forms
You can use the dashboard feature as an organizational tool while you navigate the material. While there, you can access practice quizzes and relevant content while checking out your recent activity and progress through the chapter. And if at any point you get stuck, you can always ask our professional instructors for help by means of the 'teacher' or 'help' tab.
1. What Is Fiction? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will learn about fiction. We'll take a close look at its definitions and its types and explore the difference between literary and commercial fiction.
2. Mystery Fiction: Definition, Books & Authors
First appearing over 200 years ago, mystery fiction has since become one of the most psychologically popular of the literary genres. Read about what makes the genre, as well as writers who have helped it become what it is today.
3. What is Realistic Fiction? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Short stories and novels that make you feel like you are getting to know real people dealing with believable situations can be considered realistic fiction. Watch this lesson to learn about realistic fiction and then test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. What is Science Fiction? - Definition, Characteristics, Books & Authors
'20,000 Leagues under the Sea,' 'Frankenstein,' 'Star Trek' -- it's all science fiction, but what does that mean? Find out in this lesson where you'll learn more about the genre and its characteristics, as well as encounter some authors and their works that have made science fiction what it is today.
5. What is Historical Fiction? - Definition, Characteristics, Books & Authors
Learn about a genre that takes our actual past and mixes in fictional elements. This lesson breaks down the definition of historical fiction and describes popular examples in literature.
6. What is an Adventure Story? - Features & Examples
Adventure stories are among the most popular tales, both in terms of sales and the sheer number of existing versions. But what makes an adventure story adventurous?
7. The Fable, Folktale, Myth, Legend: Differences and Examples
In this lesson, learn about fables, folktales, myths and legends, stories that entertain and serve instructive or educational purposes. Discover how these types of stories differ from one another and about their prevalence throughout the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature: Help and Review course
- AP English - Literary Analysis Intro: Help and Review
- AP English - Interpreting Literature: Help and Review
- Rhetorical Devices in AP English: Help and Review
- Types of Nonfiction
- AP English - Types of Poetry: Help and Review
- AP English - Prose: Help and Review
- AP English - American Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of American Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- AP English - English Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of English Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Grammar Review in AP English: Help and Review
- AP English - Essay Basics - Types of Essay: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Conventions for AP English: Help & Review
- Beginning the Writing Process in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing & Structuring an Essay in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing Revision and Skill Development in AP English: Help and Review