About This Chapter
Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing - Chapter Summary
Get a quality understanding of rest and sleep in nursing by watching short online videos at home or on-the-go. This chapter enables you to study states of consciousness, the sleep cycle, hypnosis, psychoactive drugs and other rest and sleep topics without setting foot in a traditional classroom. Boost your knowledge with help from top instructors. In no time, you will be prepared to do the following:
- List and describe various states of consciousness
- Describe stages of the sleep cycle
- Share factors that influence sleep and rest
- Differentiate between and describe hypnosis and meditation
- Discuss the impact of psychoactive drugs on cognitive states
Feel free to view these lessons as videos that average about 8 minutes each, or scroll down to access full transcripts you can print or read online. Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz designed to test your comprehension of the concepts it covers. If you want a broader review of the lessons and a confirmation that you understand rest and sleep in nursing, be sure to take the practice chapter exam. All study resources in this chapter are accessible 24/7 from via computer or mobile device.
1. Intro to States of Consciousness
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. Sleep Cycle
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Factors that Influence Rest & Sleep
What causes you to fall asleep faster? Is it a set temperature? Do you like the light on? Do you mediate before sleep? There are numerous factors that influence rest and sleep, and this lesson goes over many of them
4. Hypnosis and Meditation
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
5. Psychoactive Drugs
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Role of Nurse Aides
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Personal Care in Nursing
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Nutrition Basics for Nurses
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care