10 Places to Find Free Marketing Courses Online
Marketing can be any way in which entrepreneurs and businesses seek to inform potential customers about their products. Here are some great free online resources to learn about marketing.
Online Marketing Courses for Credit
Free online marketing courses employ media such as videos, audio podcasts, assignments, lecture notes, Web content and quizzes that allow students to learn the material at their own pace. Online students should note that free marketing courses do not generally result in academic credit.
Study.com offers an affordable option to online students who want to earn academic credit but would like to forgo the significant expense associated with enrolling in a traditional postsecondary course. For a small fee, registered members can watch short, illustrated video lessons and assess their mastery of the course material with multiple-choice quizzes. Each course also includes lesson transcripts, and both formats can be used to earn an alternative form of college credit.
Chapters in the Business 102: Principles of Marketing course include:
- Marketing Philosophies and Ethics - Get an introduction to marketing terminology and the types of market orientation. Lessons also explore cause-related marketing and the social responsibility of corporations.
- The Marketing Environment - Learn how social values and beliefs factor into marketing strategies. Discover the impact of legal and political environments as well as foreign and domestic competition.
- Managing a Product and Retailing - Instructors discuss new product categories and their developmental stages along with product life cycles and classes of product adopters.
- Selling and Pricing Strategy - Discover factors affecting pricing strategies and objectives, and learn steps in the selling process. Lessons also explain such terms as pricing cost, price selection and price elasticity.
Free Online Non-Credited Marketing Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Entrepreneurial Marketing looks at the basic restraints facing entrepreneurs interested in marketing and selling products. In seven modules, students learn about sustaining competitive advantages, market research, creating a new market, overcoming market resistance, pricing tools and managing customers. This course employs various media for online students, including Web content, lecture notes, assignments and additional online tools. Students should note that all readings may not be available for free online.
- Marketing 101 goes over the basics of marketing, including the five P's, product, promotion, price, place and positioning. These materials incorporate online tutorials, Web content and audio instructions to help students learn about the subject. Common course topics include goods, services, needs, wants, customer research, business research and estimating market size.
American Marketing Association
- Podcasts offered here allow online students to listen in on marketing insights from industry leaders. Students examine issues such as keeping sales up in slow markets, collaborative imagining, politics of selling and marketers as agents of change.
- Online videos explore the most current themes in business, tourism and branding as they apply to marketing techniques and strategies. The episodes cover diverse topics such as celebrity sponsorship, sustainability, brand differentiation, tourism marketing and fundraising promotion.
- How to Create Advocates with Loyalty is a podcast that looks at customer loyalty and branding issues. The talk discusses important issues such as the Socially, Environmentally and Ethically Responsible (SEER) model, implementing core values, maintaining loyalty and making emotional connections.
University of Chicago
- Chicago Booth Podcast Series Archive from the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago offer students the chance to listen in on many important talks about pressing business issues. Common issues related to marketing include podcasts covering topics such as the future of markets, media biases and the truth about marketing. Talks in this series are often given by CEOs and former governmental figures.
- Two Generations of Entrepreneurship offers online students a generational look at entrepreneurship. The lecturers for this online podcast go over common topics for entrepreneurs through the lens of real company experiences.
The Open University
Innovation, Markets and Industrial Change looks at the roles of production and sales on shaping markets. Topics covered in *the course include technology, costs, industry life cycles and network externalities as they relate to markets. Figures and short quizzes are used to help learners better understand course content.
Ohio State University
- Ohio Direct Marketing Webinars allow online students to gather expert knowledge on Ohio marketing trends and practices. Audio and video podcasts cover topics such as consumer trends, direct marketing strategies, forming cooperatives, bringing the customer back and responding to growth. Talks are often given by educators, specialists and directors.
Northwestern University offers a five-course series in social media marketing through Coursera.
- Content, Advertising, and Social IMC teaches students about the importance of social media marketing and examines strategies for developing innovative marketing approaches that will succeed in the modern media landscape.
- The Importance of Listening analyzes the significance of communication and introduces students to concepts such as data extraction and social marketing.
Offered through iTunesU, this course is free to access and download.
- Direct Marketing Communication features a thorough study of fundamental concepts and principles related to direct and interactive marketing communication. Topics in this course include direct mail design, digital media, advertising, and telemarketing scripts.