How to Choose an Acrylic Nail Technician School
Acrylic nail technician jobs require certification or licensure, so students must check with their particular state to make sure that their nail technology or cosmetology program complies with licensure requirements in their area. Certificate and associate's degree programs can be taken through the professional departments at community colleges, career institutes and technical colleges.
Summary of important considerations:
- Study options range from a certificate program in nail technology to an associate degree program in cosmetology.
- Working professionals may benefit from enrolling in schools that offer online and distance-learning programs, or that provide weekend and evening classes.
- School resources for aspiring acrylic nail technicians should include access to clinical facilities and instruction with current technology and equipment.
- It is recommended that students verify that a school's program is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting body, such as the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences.
Overview of Acrylic Nail Technician Programs
Nail Technician Certificate
Nail technician certificate programs prepare students for entry-level careers as acrylic nail technicians. These programs typically include hands-on clinical work and testing in which technicians must demonstrate the correct procedures for acrylic application, sculpting and removal. A number of certificate programs offer courses focused on:
- Acrylic sculpture
- Regular fills
- Back fills
- Nail wraps
Associate Degree in Cosmetology
An associate degree program in cosmetology offers interdisciplinary education to expand a student's knowledge in hair, skin and nail treatments. Students learn hair cutting, styling and coloring techniques, as well as skin care and how to perform facials. Coursework in nail care may include:
- Acrylic composition
- Nail maintenance and repair
- Customer consultation methods
- Record keeping
- Salon safety
10 Schools with Acrylic Nail Technician Programs
|Harford Community College||2-year, Public|
|Ashville-Buncombe Technical Community College||2-year, Public|
|Wallace Community College||2-year, Public|
|Meridian Community College||2-year, Public|
|Brunswick Community College||2-year, Public|
|Chattanooga State Community College||2-year, Public|
|Edgecombe Community College||2-year, Public|
|Dodge City Community College||2-year, Public|
|Nash Community College||2-year, Public|
|Savannah Technical College||2-year, Public|