Associate in Science (AS): Business Administration Degree Overview
Associate of Science (A.S.) in Business Administration degree programs teach the fundamentals of staffing, employee relations, organization, business communication and public relations. Get information about courses and continuing education.
An A.S. in Business Administration program gives students experience working on computers using word processing and spreadsheet programs, in addition to classes in basic business principles. Some programs call for internships or encourage volunteer work in the field. A high school diploma or the equivalent is generally required for admission.
- Program Levels in Business Administration: Associate degree, Certificate, Bachelor's degree
- Prerequisites: High School diploma or GED
- Program Length: Two years
- Other Requirements: Internships, Volunteer work
Associate of Science in Business Administration
These 2-year degree programs usually require 60-64 credits. Some programs offer internship opportunities, giving students the chance to apply classroom learning to a business setting. Students might also be encouraged to do volunteer work to increase their real-world experience. Course topics within the program could include:
- Business legalities
- International business
Popular Career Options
Graduates are typically qualified for entry-level positions in business settings. They could seek opportunities with small businesses, retail stores, corporations or nonprofit organizations. Job titles could include:
- Office manager
- Administrative assistant
- Human resources clerk
- Associate manager
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the employment of administrative assistants and secretaries should increase by 12% from 2012 to 2022 (www.bls.gov). In May of 2014, the BLS reported that secretaries and administrative assistants (except for medical, legal and executive secretaries) earned an annual median salary of $33,240.
Certificate programs give students the ability to expand their knowledge while keeping up-to-date with new business models and methods. Certificate programs are available in fields such as accounting, entrepreneurship, management and financial management. Additionally, those interested in advancing their career opportunities can apply to bachelor's degree programs in business administration. AS degree programs in business administration are typically designed so all or some of the earned credits transfer to a relevant bachelor's program.
Related to Associate in Science (AS): Business Administration Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Do you like to shop? Have you always been good at spotting a bargain or negotiating a lower price? If so, you should consider a...
Online executive master's in business administration degrees are widely available. Those interested in careers as securities...
Read about the Bachelor of Applied Science program in business administration and explore some common topics of study. Discover...
Students interested in studying business administration near Anaheim, CA, have many schools to choose from. Read about the top...
- Business Administration - Marketing Certificate Program Outline
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business Degree
- Masters Degree in 3D Animation: Program Summary
- PhD in Multimedia Design: Program Information
- Golf Course Management Major: Information and Requirements
- Legal Executive Assistant Certificate: Program Overview
- BS in Business Administration - Finance: Degree Overview
- BS in Business - Public Administration: Degree Overview
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Office E-ministration
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Human Services Management Degree Overview
- Careers in the Communication Industry: Options and Requirements