Auto Fabrication Schools and Colleges in the U.S.
Students wishing to work in auto fabrication can find training through certificate and associate's degree programs offered at various 2-year colleges. These programs offer students the chance to work hands-on with auto technology and choose areas of specialization.
How to Select an Auto Fabrication School
Auto fabrication involves the repair and design of the vehicle mainframe for custom jobs and accident repair. Students interested in this career field can pursue a limited number of fabrication programs, or they can enroll in an automotive technology, auto body repair or collision refinishing program that includes fabrication in the curriculum.
Consider the following when looking for auto fabrication schools:
- Prospective students should give preference to schools that are accredited by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).
- Students can focus on accident repair or custom design, the two major areas of specialization.
- Students interested in auto fabrication are advised to look for programs that include direct training in painting, polishing and welding.
Degree Program Overviews
Certificate Programs in Auto Body Fabrication
Certificate programs can be completed in a single semester and teach students basic fabrication skills, such as auto body design or shaping steel panels. Some programs consider these certificates advanced and require the completion of an auto body repair certificate prior to applying to auto fabrication. Course topics include:
- Auto body mechanical and electrical service
- Street rod metal fabrication
- Chassis design and development
Associate's Degree Programs in Auto Body Repair
Associate's degree programs include classroom and laboratory time. In addition to the automotive curriculum, students must pass basic math, English and communication courses. Coursework includes:
- Collision refinishing
- Safety procedures
10 Schools with Auto Fabrication Programs
|College of Western Idaho||2-year, Public|
|San Juan College||2-year, Public|
|Eastfield College||2-year, Public|
|Washtenaw Community College||2-year, Public|
|East Los Angeles College||2-year, Public|
|Lake Area Technical Institute||2-year, Public|
|Stanley Community College||2-year, Public|
|Wiregrass Georgia Technical College||2-year, Public|
|Hennepin Technical College||2-year, Public|