For those interested in automotive engineering, most 4-year schools offer graduate programs in the broader field of mechanical engineering and allow students to specialize, while a few offer curricula in the specific field of study. Either way, students learn about advancements and approaches in the automotive engineering field through research, internships or elective coursework.
Engineering Graduate Schools
Here's a list of schools with relevant programs:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, MA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's, Doctoral||$46,400|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's, Doctoral||$45,729|
|University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||4-year, Public||Master's, Doctoral||In-state: $11,220 Out-of-state: $26,322|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Pittsburgh, PA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's, Doctoral||$40,625|
|California Institute of Technology||Pasadena, CA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's, Doctoral||$43,710|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Atlanta, GA||4-year, Public||Master's, Doctoral||In-state: $13,452 Out-of-state: $27,872|
|Purdue University||West Lafayette, IN||4-year, Public||Master's, Doctoral||In-state: $9,208 Out-of-state: $28,010|
|University of Illinois: Urbana-Champaign||Champaign, IL||4-year, Public||Master's, Doctoral||In-state: $15,023 Out-of-state:$28,213|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, Public||Master's||In-state: $20,638 Out-of-state: $41,688|
|University of Southern California||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's, Doctoral||$39,984|
*Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aeronautical and Aerospace Mechanics
- Automotive Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technologies
School Selection Criteria
Students interested in automotive engineering graduate programs may want to keep these considerations in mind:
- Some Ph.D. programs may allow post-college work experience to take the place of academic prerequisites, and some master's level programs allow internships and elective courses to replace a thesis.
- Schools that offer online or night courses allow students to pursue a graduate degree alongside a full-time career.
- Some automotive engineering graduate programs allow students to choose an emphasis, such as international automotive study. This could require students to spend time out of the country as part of an international internship and may also require study of a foreign language. Some Ph.D. programs offer students the option to pursue additional education in a select area of specialization, such as electronic or energy systems.
- In some programs, dissertation work accounts for more of the total curriculum than coursework does, giving students more flexibility to devote to their own research interests.
Master's Degree in Automotive Engineering
Master's degree programs in automotive engineering are designed for bachelor's degree holders who wish to continue their education in order to learn about new technologies or secure higher-level positions within the industry. Students may be required to complete a thesis or engineering project, take part in an internship and select a concentration area in such fields as energy, manufacturing or automotive systems.
Doctor of Philosophy in Automotive Engineering
Students must hold a Bachelor of Science in Engineering with two or more years of industry experience or a Master of Science in Engineering in order to apply for automotive engineering doctoral programs. A dissertation must be completed in order to graduate, and this will typically comprise approximately half of the credit hours required for graduation. Concentration areas could include materials and materials processing, energy systems and thermal management, dynamics and controls, power electronics or vehicle design.
Students should thoroughly understand the concentration, internship, dissertation, entry and scheduling requirements of an automotive engineering graduate program before selecting one. Expectations in these areas vary from school to school.