Bachelor of Advertising: Degree Overview
Students enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Advertising program explore methods for learning what customers want and how to develop advertising campaigns that reach and persuade those populations.
In addition to the standard curriculum of a bachelor's program in advertising, some schools recommend a business-related concentration or minor. Internship opportunities are usually available, although not always required. The bachelor's degree takes approximately four years to complete, and applicants typically need to hold a high school diploma for entrance.
- Prerequisites: High school diploma
- Program length: Four years
- Experiential learning: Internships may be required
Bachelor of Science in Advertising
Advertising coursework focuses on critical thinking, effective communication, writing, editing and visualizing ideas and incorporates elements of social science research, statistics, multicultural studies and visual design. Some general education courses are typically required as well. Subjects studied may include:
- Advertising strategies
- Effective advertising sales
- Media planning
- Copywriting and visual design of ads
- Retail advertising
- Ethics and law in advertising
Career Outlook and Salary Information
Individuals may find career opportunities in public relations, marketing and advertising, including entry-level positions. Common job titles may include public relationships specialists, media planners, copywriters, direct marketers or advertising sales agents. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that individuals who worked as advertising and promotions managers earned an average income of $114,700 in May 2014 (www.bls.gov). The BLS also predicts that advertising, promotions, and marketing managers as a group will likely see a slower-than-average 7% employment growth between 2012 and 2022.
Related to Bachelor of Advertising: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Advertising is the art and business of enticing consumers to purchase a product or service. There are many reasons to major in...
Advertising art programs teach students how to create appealing visual images that convey a message or solve a problem....
The staff in commercial advertising agencies work together to create images to market a company's products. The field...
Learn about the education and preparation necessary to become an advertising agent. Get a quick view of the requirements, job...
- Advertising Vs. Marketing Majors: What's the Difference?
- Media Director: Job Duties, Salary and Requirements
- Job Description of a Media Buyer: Outlook, Duties and Salary
- Professional Accountancy MBA Program Information
- Careers in Educational Publishing: Job Options and Requirements
- Chiropractic Physician: Job Description & Education Requirements
- Graphic Communications Management: Job Options, Salary and Duties