Bachelors Degree in Computer Programming: Program Overview
If you're interested in receiving training in computer programming, a bachelor's degree program in computer science can provide the training that you need. Read ahead to learn about the curriculum, national job growth data and graduate continuing education options.
Colleges may not offer bachelor's degrees specifically in computer programming, so individuals looking to specialize in computer programming typically earn a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. These programs may require incoming students to have a background in the field through the completion of certain coursework. A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program combines principles in advanced mathematics, science, computers and engineering. Majors learn probability factors and learn to apply logic principles to develop and encode computer systems and programs. By encountering and repairing programming mishaps, they also gain critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
Aspiring computer programmers working toward a computer science degree may be able to pursue specialized tracks, such as game design or artificial intelligence. Although almost all computer science bachelor's degree programs comprise programming lessons--through the core curriculum, electives or both--individuals most often specialize in this field through advanced schooling, independent study or professional pursuits upon graduation. These programs may also offer opportunities to earn hands-on experience.
Some schools may require aspiring computer science majors to complete prerequisite courses in introductory programming, discrete mathematics and calculus. Department approval may be dependent on the final grades received in prerequisite classes. An overall undergraduate GPA of 2.0 or higher may also be required.
Those seeking bachelor's degrees in computer science are typically required to complete a senior project and may also take part in a professional computer programming internship or co-op experience. Aspiring computer programmers take foundational classes in physics and statistics. They also study:
- Structural components of computer systems
- System organization principles
- Development and analysis of algorithms
- Database management concepts
- Software engineering principles
- Computer programming languages
- Technical documentation for computer programmers
- Operating system essentials
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Computer programmers are responsible for designing, building, testing and fixing websites, information management systems and software programs. Many United States computer programming jobs have been cut back due to global outsourcing. However, employment of computer programmers is expected to grow 12% from 2010-2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. As of 2012, computer programmers made a median salary of $74,280 annually (www.bls.gov).
Continuing Education Information
Because of competitiveness in the computer programming field, it is imperative for job candidates to stay up-to-date on usable languages and technologies. Consequently, these individuals may decide to pursue a Master of Science in Computer Science. Another advanced degree option for a computer programmer may is the Master of Science in Management Information Systems. However, continuing education classes, professional seminars and organization memberships may help programmers stay on their game.
Related to Bachelors Degree in Computer Programming: Program Overview
- Recently Updated
Need coding help quick? Never fear, the blogosphere is here! Check out the following blogs for useful advice - and hilarious...
See our list of the top free online computer programming courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they...
Read about the curriculum and requirements of an associate's degree in computer programming and Web development. Learn about...
Computer programmers require some formal education. Learn about the educational options, job duties and employment outlook...
- Top College in Oakland, CA, for Computer Programming Training
- Top School in Minneapolis for Computer Programming Courses
- Computer Programming Degree Program Overviews by Level
- Architecture Professions: Overview of the Architecture Related Careers
- Study.com at Open Education Week: Day 2
- Top School in Arlington, VA, for a Software Engineering Degree
- Career Info for a Degree in Medical & Health Professions
- Certificate in Computer Programming Languages: Program Info
- Associate of Computer Programming Technology: Degree Overview
- Personal Support Worker: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Apparel & Accessories Design: Adult Education Info
- Best Free Online Video Lectures: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner