Undergraduate and graduate chemical engineering programs can be found at some of the best schools in the country. We'll look at what some of these universities have to offer students interested in this engineering specialty.
Students looking for the best chemical engineering schools have many options, including Arizona State University, Florida State University, and the University of Florida. These institutions are top ranked public schools or universities, offering chemical engineering programs that have been highly rated by U.S. News and World Report.
Arizona State University
Arizona State University in Tempe is home to the IRA A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. Its graduate chemical engineering program was ranked among the top 50 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in 2016. In addition to master's and doctoral degrees in this field, the school offers a bachelor's degree program. Process design, modern separations, chemical reactor design, and organic chemistry are some of the undergraduate courses.
University of Florida
The University of Florida in Gainesville houses 16 colleges as well as 150 research centers. The Herbert Wertheim college of engineering offers a 26th ranked graduate chemical engineering program, according to U.S. News and World Report in 2016. Specializations available to students pursuing chemical engineering master's and doctoral degrees include corrosion, polymer science, advanced materials, biochemical engineering, and colloid science. Coursework covers such topics as cellular processes, cell mechanics, molecular basis of chemical engineering, continuum basis of chemical engineering, thermodynamics, and interfacial phenomena. This school also offers chemical engineering programs at the bachelor's degree level.
Florida State University
In conjunction with Florida A&M University, Florida State University offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in chemical engineering. Undergraduate students can choose from three areas of study: chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, and chemical materials engineering. The school also features a combined bachelor's and master's degree program, while non-chemical engineering majors who would like to pursue a graduate degree can take advantage of a special transition program. Florida State University was listed among the top 40 public schools in the country by U.S. News and World Report in 2016.
Top Chemical Engineering Schools
Here are some additional top schools that offer chemical engineering programs:
- Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey, offers Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, Master of Engineering, and Doctor of Philosophy programs in engineering.
- The University of Arizona in Tucson offers a 5-year accelerated Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Chemical Engineering program.
- At the University of California in Los Angeles, teaching undergraduates is core part of the graduate programs.
- The University of Houston in Texas offers a non-thesis Master of Chemical Engineering program for working professionals.
- The University of Maryland in College Park was ranked 33rd among schools offering graduate chemical engineering programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2016.
When considering a chemical engineering program, students might want to take into account a school's rankings as well as program specializations. Graduate students may also consider thesis options and teaching opportunities.