A master's in health science may help students who seek careers in health research, or help students advance already existing careers by providing them with increased skills and knowledge of the field. This article explores a few of the top school in the nation that offer master's degree programs in health science.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- Environmental Health
- Health Physics
- Health Services Administration
- International Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Medical Scientist
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
- Public Health Education
- Public Health Medicine, Treatment
The most common graduate degree in health science is a Master of Health Science (MHS), which helps students increase skills and knowledge in a specific healthcare discipline. The three schools listed below are either highly ranked in national assessments by the US News & World Report or have ranked programs. Johns Hopkins University, Duke University and University of Central Florida are both highly ranked schools that offer MHS programs.
Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD
|School Highlight: This school offers 10 different academic departments in the study of health, including seven master's degree programs.|
Academic programs in this school of public health include biostatistics, biochemistry and molecular biology, environmental health sciences, epidemiology, reproductive health and mental health. These programs are ideal for students who wish to go on to doctoral study or pursue healthcare research. The professional programs are for students planning to advance their healthcare careers with further study and include environmental health sciences, health policy and management, international healthcare, behavior and society, and reproductive health. Specifically, the Master of Health Science is offered to medical students, in over 10 departments. Johns Hopkins is the tenth best school in the nation according 2017 US News & World Report listings.
Duke University in Durham, NC
|School Highlight: Duke's Clinical Leadership program is affiliated with four other medical departments at the university.|
Tied for eighth place in the 2017 US News & World Report listings of best universities in the nation, Duke's medical school offers an MHS in Clinical Leadership. This program was developed for working healthcare professionals and teaches students to respond to changes and directions in the healthcare industry. Coursework includes healthcare finance, healthcare strategy, management and healthcare policy. Students also participate in a year-long team research project before graduation.
University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL
|School Highlight: UCF's master's degree program in health science is offered both in a traditional track and in an executive track for those who already have professional experience in the field.|
The University of Central Florida may not be as close to the top of the list provided by the US News & World Report, ranked as being tied for the 176th place for 2017, but it still has a lot to offer. Its medical school is in the top 100 research medical schools in the nation. Also, the school has a unique global health program, that is a joint program with the University of Cape Town, South Africa.
Top Master's Degree in Health Science Programs
The following schools also offer unique and quality training for those who wish to pursue a Master's degree in heath science.
- The medical school at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT, receives almost $246.7 million in annual funding for research.
- The College of Health and Human Services at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, consistently receives research awards from the National Institutes of Health.
- Students at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, are required to first complete an interdisciplinary health sciences certificate before gaining access to the master's degree program in interdisciplinary health science.
- California State University - Fresno offers various courses in public health via its M.S. in Health Science program.
- Boise State University, Boise, ID, has a master's degree program in health science with three emphasis tracks: health services leadership, health promotion, and health policy.
- Students at the University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, can participate in the Center for Global Heath & Medical Diplomacy or the Healthcare Leadership Institute at the school.
- California State University - Dominguez Hills, in Carson, CA, offers a new Master of Public Health.
There are a number of health science programs offered at the master's level at many colleges and universities around the nation. This list should provide you a few that either offer unique training opportunities or are nationally ranked by the US News & World Report.