School and Ranking Information
There are few schools located in the Bakersfield area that offer degrees in marketing, though both 2-year and 4-year programs can be found in and near the city. The following schools are considered the top three based on rankings, tuition and location:
- Winner: California State University in Bakersfield is at the top of the list for its regional and national rankings received from U.S. News & World Report in 2013 and 2014, large number of degrees awarded and for being a 4-year institution.
- Runner Up #1: Bakersfield College, located in Bakersfield, is the first runner up due to its location and multiple program options.
- Runner Up #2: Antelope Valley College in Lancaster receives third place for its low tuition rates and the school's occupational education program for marketing students.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||California State University - Bakersfield||Bakersfield College||Antelope Valley College|
|Ranking(s)||#90 among regional universities in the West (2014),
#306 among best undergraduate business programs (2013),
#37 among top public schools, national (2014)*
|Location||Bakersfield, CA||Bakersfield, CA||Lancaster, CA (roughly 55 miles from Bakersfield)|
|School Type||4-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $6,709 in-state,
$18,367 out-of-state (undergraduate),
$17,494 out-of-state (graduate)**
|$966 (certificate program tuition & fees)***,
$7,484 out-of-state (general undergraduate tuition & fees)**
$5,328 out-of-state (undergraduate)**
|Marketing Programs Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Certificates and associate degrees||Certificates and associate degrees|
|Marketing Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2012-2013||351 (marketing not specified)**||5**||4**|
|Most Popular Marketing Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration**||Certificate of Achievement in Marketing**||Marketing Certificate,
Associate in Science in Marketing (2 of each were awarded)**
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||39% (2006 entering class)**||20% (2009 entering class)**||22% (2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||All management and marketing faculty have PhDs***||School included in the Achieving the Dream National Reform Network (ADNRN) in 2013 - a program designed to bridge achievement gaps in traditionally under-served communities***||The occupational work experience education program allows marketing students to earn up to 16 credits while employed in a supervised work experience***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***School websites.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Business Communications, General
- International Marketing
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Research
Winner: California State University - Bakersfield
- Internship opportunities are available for marketing majors
- Marketing courses and programs are available in full-time, part-time, and evening and weekend formats
California State University - Bakersfield is the only public 4-year school near Bakersfield to offer marketing degrees. The School of Business at CSUB is accredited by the The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), which is a distinction shared by less than 5% of business schools worldwide, according to the AACSB website. Students at this school have 3 marketing program options - a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Marketing, a 20-unit minor in marketing, and a Master of Business Administration.
The BSBA program requires core courses in financial reporting, microeconomics, and managerial accounting. Students who choose a marketing specialization can study consumer behavior, marketing channels, public relations strategy, and sales management. The graduate program consists of 10 core classes and 3 or more electives that aim to provide career advancement and competence in the field. Students enrolled in the MBA program can specialize in marketing through elective choices.
Runner-Up #1: Bakersfield College
- Several marketing courses are available online
- Cooperative work education experiences are available for credit
- According to the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), this school is designated as a traditionally Hispanic-serving institution
- School of Business Administration offers 11 different fields of study, including marketing
Bakersfield College has been providing educational opportunities for students in this area for 100 years, and the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) shows that Hispanic students comprised more than 50% of student enrollment in 2012. Students can pursue either a 21-unit certificate in marketing or the Associate of Arts (AA) in Marketing. The associate program requires completion of general education courses, as well as 24 units of major-specific coursework. Credits earned may be transferable to a 4-year degree program, and both the certificate and AA programs offer introductory training in business, marketing, and accounting. The associate degree program, however, offers more comprehensive coursework in accounting, math, human relations, and computer applications.
Runner-Up #2: Antelope Valley College (AVC)
- Business students in good standing are eligible for 3 different scholarship opportunities
- AVC's Learning Center offers free tutoring services for all students, according to the school's website
Antelope Valley College is located more than 50 miles from Bakersfield, but it's the 3rd closest school to this city that offers programs in marketing. The Business, Computer Studies, and Economic Development Department at AVC provides training in 7 fields of study, including marketing. The certificate program in marketing aims to provide training for potential entrepreneurs seeking career development, and the Associate in Science in Marketing program offers students preparation for transfer to a 4-year degree program.
The marketing certificate program at AVC requires more than 30 units in classes like computer applications and business concepts, principles of marketing, and salesmanship. Students seeking an associate degree in this field must complete the marketing certificate program, in addition to general education courses and electives to earn the 60.5-62.5 units required for graduation.