School and Ranking Information
There are about 9 schools within 15 miles of downtown San Bernardino that offer business administration degree programs. Based on rankings, graduation rates and available opportunities for business students, the best 3 schools in the San Bernardino area are the University of California - Riverside (UCR), California State University - San Bernardino (CSUSB) and University of Redlands (UR).
All 3 schools offer internship and study abroad opportunities for business students. Both UCR and CSUSB have business programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- Winner: The University of California - Riverside has been nationally ranked among the top 120 schools and the top 75 best undergraduate business programs. It is the furthest away from San Bernardino, though it offers the widest program variety, with bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in business.
- Runner-Up #1: California State University - San Bernardino has been ranked among regional universities, and its undergraduate business programs holds a national ranking. It offers bachelor's and master's degrees and is the only school of these three located directly in San Bernardino.
- Runner-up #2: The University of Redlands has a high regional ranking and a high graduation rate, though its business programs don't hold national rankings. It offers certificates, bachelor's and master's programs.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of California - Riverside||California State University - San Bernardino||University of Redlands|
|Rankings|| #112 among national universities in 2014,
#72 among best undergraduate business programs in 2013 (nationwide),
#55 among top public schools in 2014 (nationwide)*
|#57 among regional universities in the West in 2014,
#306 among best undergraduate business programs in 2013 (nationwide),
#17 among top public schools in the West in 2014*
|#12 among regional universities in the West in 2014*|
|Location||Riverside, CA (10 miles from downtown San Bernardino)||San Bernardino, CA||Redlands, CA (8 miles from downtown San Bernardino)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $12,960 (undergraduate, in-state),
$35,838 (undergraduate, out-of-state),
$12,790 (graduate, in-state),
$27,892 (graduate, out-of-state)**
|$6,327 (undergraduate, in-state),
$17,985 (undergraduate, out-of-state),
$7,801 (graduate, in-state),
$17,347 (graduate, out-of-state)**
| $39,338 (undergraduate),
|Business Administration Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Certificates, bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Business Administration Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||724**||734**||348**|
|Most Popular Business Administration Degree Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Business Administration (640 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Business Administration (652 awarded)**||Master's in Business Administration (204 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||66%**||44% (3% transfer-out rate)**||72%**|
|Noteworthy||Home to the University of California system's largest undergraduate business program||Local internship opportunities and study abroad experiences are available for business students, and the faculty exchange program adds an international element to instruction||Mentoring program pairs business-degree seekers with established local business leaders|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of California - Riverside
- The Student Ambassador Program provides opportunities for elite undergraduate business students to gain communication and leadership skills while representing the business school
- There are 8 business-related student organizations on campus, including a club sponsored by the American Marketing Association
- Business was the most popular field of study for bachelor's and master's degrees awarded in the 2011-2012 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
The School of Business Administration at the University of California - Riverside offers 6 concentration areas for the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. UC - Riverside's undergraduate business students are required to successfully complete a 2-year pre-business program before applying to the BSBA program.
This school also offers options for graduate study in its A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management (AGSM), which is part of the School of Business. There are 2 program options leading to the Master of Business Administration - a traditional program format or the Flex MBA. The Flex MBA offers flexibility for students who either need more time to complete a degree or want to complete an MBA in less than 2 years. There is also a Ph.D. program in business administration for those seeking a research degree in this field.
Runner-Up #1: California State University - San Bernardino
- The Executives-in-Residence program allows students to gain from the experience of local business leaders through lectures and office hours
- Networking opportunities available through the Business Alliance connect students, CSUSB alumni and local business leaders
At California State University - San Bernardino, students have 2 undergraduate and 4 graduate program options in the field of business administration. The Bachelor of Arts in Administration requires completion of 180 units, whereas the Bachelor of Science in Administration requires 198 units. There are 8 areas of concentration for the BS program, including finance, information management and marketing. The BA program offers 12 concentration areas, including business economics, public administration and supply chain management.
The 48-quarter-unit MBA program can be completed in 9 concentrations and 4 formats. MBA courses are offered in a traditional on-campus format; there is also the option to enroll in the executive MBA, professional MBA or online MBA program.
Runner-Up #2: University of Redlands
- Several business-related resources are provided by the Banta Center for Business, Ethics and Society, including a private library, internship opportunities and mentoring
- NCES data shows that business was the most popular field of study for undergraduate and graduate students in 2011-2012
- Business students may be awarded a maximum of 30 credits for life experience
University of Redlands' School of Business offers Bachelor of Science in Business and Bachelor of Arts in Management degree-completion programs. To enroll in these programs, students must have 40 credits and 3 years of work experience. Credits can be transferred to Redlands from other schools or earned through CLEP or AP exams. Additionally, Redlands awards up to 30 credits for life experience. For students who have a minimum of 20 transferable credits and only 2 years of work experience, Redlands offers a 6-course 'prep year' program to prepare for entrance into business degree programs. Classes for both the prep year and the degree-completion program are offered once each week in the evening.
University of Redlands also offers a 48-credit Master of Business Administration program; classes meet 1 night each week, and the program takes about 2 years to complete. This school offers a few certificates in business-related fields as well, including global business, finance and information systems.