Careers with a Biology Degree and MBA: Combining Biology and Business
Several universities around the country offer dual biology and business graduate degrees. Courses in genetics, molecular and cellular biology paired with management, marketing and international business training open a wide range of career opportunities in public, private and government agencies.
What Careers Combine Biology and Business?
From a business perspective, a few job possibilities for dual-degree holders include project and research management, financial budgeting for scientific testing and development, market analysis for biological products and business analyst for biotechnology companies.
The field of biotechnology, the most progressive branch of scientific research according to the BLS, offers entrepreneurs possibilities to enter the world market with groundbreaking products in the pharmaceutical, renewable energy or agricultural industries. A focus on energy and food supplies and the rapid breakthroughs in drug treatments opens the doors for new companies with improved solutions or new divisions at existing corporations.
Companies such as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Bayer Corporation and Unimed Pharmaceuticals seek biochemical and biomedical scientists for new product and research development. The American Institute of Biological Sciences details career options for biology students with an interest in business. The organization provides networking, education, events and job postings for biology and business students and professionals (www.aibs.org).
Resources for Biology and Business Majors
The annual Agricultural Biotechnology International Conference (ABIC) draws businesses and scientists together to develop innovative ways to advance energy sources around the world and reduce food shortages in struggling countries. Another group worth looking into is the Biotechnology Industry Organization.
The Future of Biotechnology and Business
According to the 2009 Ernst & Young Biotechnology Report, the biotech industry has risen to the challenge of global funding deficiencies. By focusing its concentration on generic and targeted pharmaceuticals, corporate mergers and the newly passed U.S. health care reform, biotechnologists face opportunities to introduce radical and progressive solutions in scientific advancement (www.ey.com).
Related to Careers with a Biology Degree and MBA: Combining Biology and Business
- Recently Updated
Learn about Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs in business information systems. Get an overview of these programs...
Whether seeking a promotion or a career change, the promise of advanced positions with greater benefits is sufficient...
International business degrees are often required due to increasing globalization and the growing number of businesses...
Learn about the top schools for business, which can help students prepare for careers in management, finance, marketing and...
- Scholarships for Biology Majors: How to Find and Apply
- Business Majors: Information and Requirements
- List of Online Business Workshops and Seminars
- Ecosystem Management Education and Career Information
- Top School in Chesapeake, VA, for a Public Administration Master's Degree
- Fighting for the Rights of LGBT Students: Study.com Speaks With Evelyn Thomas
- Education: An International Human Right - Study.com Speaks With the Kilgoris Project
- Limited Liability Corporations Offer Significant Advantages for the Student Business Person
- Cost of an Online MBA: Average Program Tuition and Fees
- My So-Called Teaching Life: Study.com Speaks to an English Professor
- Political Economics Career Options and Education Requirements
- Get Inspired! Study.com Speaks With a Professional Writer