Aerobics Instruction Training Program
Aerobics instruction training programs and courses are typically offered through for-profit organizations, wellness chains and community colleges. Individuals enrolled in aerobics instruction training programs should learn the basics of proper exercise form, body alignment techniques, teaching methods, choreography and timing. Many training programs also offer tips for selecting appropriate workout music, motivating individuals, and working a room full of clients. Some training programs offered by independent associations award graduates with a certification in the field, while others simply prepare students to apply for certification.
- Program Levels in Aerobic Instruction: Certification training programs are available
- Prerequisites: Many organizations and colleges ask that students hold a high school diploma or GED. Applicants should also be physically fit and have enthusiastic personalities.
- Program Length: Depending on the institution, training programs can take anywhere from four weeks to six months to complete
Certification in Aerobics Instruction Coursework
Aerobics instructor training courses provide step-by-step instruction on how to create and execute aerobic routines. Some examples of courses might include:
- Exercise programming
- Total fitness training
- Safety techniques and avoiding injury, including proper posture mechanics
- Warm up and cool down exercises
- Aerobic movement and choreography
- Timing and visual cues
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage for fitness trainers and aerobics instructors in May 2014 was $34,980. There will also be an 8% increase in jobs from 2014-2024.
Certification is very common in the field of fitness instruction, and many gyms require that aerobics instructors hold certification of some kind before being hired. Many organizations offer certification in the field, so prospective aerobics instructors need to ensure that the National Commission for Certifying Agencies accredits a program. One organization to offer certification to aerobics instructors is the American Council on Exercise, which offers Group Fitness Instructor Certification. Individuals can earn the certification by passing an examination proving their knowledge in instructional techniques, exercise physiology, and injury prevention.