Clinical Data Management Certificate and Certification Programs
Explore certificate programs in clinical data management. Discover what you will need to enroll, and get information about potential courses and career settings. Browse the employment outlook statistics and certification options.
Current or aspiring medical professionals who are interested in gaining the credentials necessary to become clinical data managers or clinical research associates can enroll in a Clinical Data Management Certificate program. These programs are typically offered through the extension departments of 4-year universities and community colleges, or through health science organizations.
A certificate program in clinical data management provides students with an understanding of how clinical trials for pharmaceutical drugs and other medical products are designed and executed. Prospective students should have a basic understanding of natural sciences and laboratory sciences before embarking on such a course of study. Certification requires a degree and significant work experience.
Some certificate programs in clinical data management are post-baccalaureate programs. Interested students should have a bachelor's or master's degree in a field like biology, health sciences or natural sciences.
Clinical data managers coordinate and oversee the clinical trials used to test new pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices. The courses included in a clinical data management certificate program cover clinical topics, regulatory topics, scientific topics and project management topics related to the field of clinical research.
Students learn how to monitor trials, perform proper safety protocols, meet industry regulations and record accurate data. They are also typically required to complete basic training in management and communication. Some specific courses might include:
- Clinical trials design
- Human subjects protection
- Drug safety
- Monitoring clinical trials
- Writing medical reports
- Clinical study management
- Clinical trial data management systems
- Patient recruitment for trials
Popular Career Info
A clinical data research associate or clinical data manager can work for a variety of organizations in the healthcare and pharmaceutical field. Some types of companies hiring such professionals include:
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Biotechnology organizations
- Academic medical centers
- Federal regulations department
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) classifies clinical data managers as statisticians, and it expects 14% employment growth during the 2010-2020 decade, which is about as fast as average (www.bls.gov). Payscale.com reported in November 2013 that clinical data managers earned between $39,423 and $98,836 annually, with the median salary being $67,717.
The Society for Clinical Data Management (SCDM) offers certification for clinical data managers. A bachelor's degree and two years of professional experience are required before interested professionals are qualified to sit for the certification examination. They can also qualify if they have an associate's degree and three years of professional experience or else four years of full-time professional experience.
Related to Clinical Data Management Certificate and Certification Programs
- Recently Updated
Learn about prerequisites and required courses for health information management master's programs. Take a look at employment...
Clinical data managers record and store medical data resulting from new drug trials. Courses are usually available as part of...
Find out what clinical data managers do, and see what kind of education is required to become one. Get information about career...
Explore the work responsibilities of a data management analyst. Explore salary and employment outlook as well as education and...
- Career Info for a Health Management Degree
- Clinical Case Management Certification Program Overviews
- Schools with Clinical Management Degree Programs: How to Choose
- Sterile Processing Technician Training Program Information
- Interior Design: Career College Diploma Summary
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: Degree Overview
- Network Specialist Certificate: Program Summaries
- Salary for an MBA in Management: Average Earnings of Recent Grads
- Clinical Management Training Program Information
- Top School that Offers Courses in Computer Security - Alexandria, VA
- Master Degree in Banking and Finance: Program Overviews
- Associate of Network & Information Systems Technology: Degree Overview