Mechanical drafting bachelor's degree programs are available at a select few 4-year universities and colleges through their drafting and design, engineering and technology departments.
10 Mechanical Drafting Schools
The following schools are among the 4-year institutions offering bachelor's degrees in mechanical drafting:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Eastern Michigan University||Ypsilanti, MI||4-year, Public||$10,417 (In-state) $27,712 (Out-of-state)|
|Idaho State University||Pocatello, ID||4-year, Public||$6,784 (In-state) $20,182 (Out-of-state)|
|Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis||Indianapolis, IN||4-year, Public||$9,056 (In-state) $29,774 (Out-of-state)|
|Lewis-Clark State College||Lewiston, ID||4-year, Public||$7,224 (In-state) $18,224 (Out-of-state)|
|Murray State University||Murray, KY||4-year, Public||$7,608 (In-state) $20,712 (Out-of-state)|
|National University||La Jolla, CA||4-year, Private, not-for-profit||$12,744|
|Trine University||Angola, IN||4-year, Private, not-for-profit||$30,350|
|University of Central Missouri||Warrensburg, MO||4-year, Public||$7,322 (In-state) $13,767 (Out-of-state)|
|Western Michigan University||Kalamazoo, MI||4-year, Public||$11,029 (In-state) $25,713 (Out-of-state)|
|Hodges University||Naples, FL||4-year, Private, for-profit||$13,220|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural Drafting and Design
- CAD Drafting and Design Technology
- Civil Engineering Drafting and Design
- Mechanical Drafting and Design
College Selection Criteria
Students may want to consider the following when choosing a mechanical drafting school:
- Students seeking a bachelor's degree in mechanical drafting may want to check to see if a program is accredited by an industry-recognized association.
- Some schools may offer more up-to-date technology and programs, which can be important for students in this technology-driven field.
- Internship opportunities that can provide additional and valuable experience may be offered, although they are rare.
- Students may want to consider a school's career placement programs to assist in post-graduate plans.
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Drafting
A bachelor's degree program in mechanical drafting prepares students for careers that use CAD software to create and develop automated systems and equipment. Programs focus on theory and lab work. Upon completion of the program, graduates typically work on an engineering team as a CAD operator, CAD drafter, design engineer or design drafter.
Students pursuing a bachelor's degree in mechanical drafting may consider a program's accreditation, the technology studied and more when choosing which school to attend. These degree programs are available at private and public schools.