Top School in Tampa for a Computer Engineering Degree
Tampa, FL, has few schools with programs in computer engineering. Find the best program for you by reading about one of these schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
Students in Tampa, FL, who are interested in studying computer engineering have only two schools to choose from. Based on ranking, school type and student population, the following university is considered the top Tampa school for computer engineering degree programs:
- Winner: The University of South Florida is the only 4-year public institution located directly in the city that awards degrees in computer engineering. It is also the largest school in terms of enrollment within Tampa's city limits with these types of programs. Students can pursue undergraduate and graduate computer engineering degrees at this school.
School Info Chart
|Category||University of South Florida|
|Ranking||#161 (tie) Best National University (2015)*, #88 Top Public National University (2015)*, #77 Top Graduate Computer Engineering School (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $6,410 (in-state); $17,324 (out-of-state)**|
|Computer Engineering Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral|
|Computer Engineering Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||81**|
|Most Popular Computer Engineering Degree Awarded in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (49 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||63%**|
|Noteworthy||In 2014, U.S. News ranked USF's undergraduate engineering programs #109 among national universities whose highest engineering degree awarded is a doctorate; Computer engineering faculty includes Fellows of IEEE, IAPR and ACM as well as two Distinguished University Professors and recipients of the NSF CAREER award|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator
University of South Florida
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering offers an accelerated bachelor's/master's degree program
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program allows undergraduate computer engineering students to work with faculty mentors for a stipend
- Campus organizations include student chapters of IEEE and Association of Computing Machinery
The University of South Florida enrolls more than 41,000 students and offers about 230 programs of study on four campuses in the Tampa area. The College of Engineering operates six departments, including the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. This department offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in computer engineering.
The 128-credit hour Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program includes a core engineering curriculum, which covers topics in statistics, electrical systems and engineering materials. Other courses include calculus, programming, linear systems, algorithms, computer architecture and operating systems. Students also complete a senior project. Students may complete a 5-year bachelor's and master's computer engineering degree program.
The 30-credit hour Master of Science in Computer Engineering program can be completed as a thesis or non-thesis option. The non-thesis option requires additional coursework. Applicants must demonstrate knowledge of computer science and engineering, operating systems and algorithm analysis. Required courses include algorithms, computer architecture and operating systems. Elective coursework is based on the student's interests. Students in the Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering program must complete a total of 90 credit hours of study. Program requirements include coursework based on the student's field of study, qualifying exams, one semester of teaching, a math minor and a dissertation. Applicants need only have a bachelor's degree, but a master's degree in a relevant field, such as computer science or engineering, is preferred.
Related to Top School in Tampa for a Computer Engineering Degree
- Recently Updated
Computer engineers require a significant amount of formal education. Learn about the degree requirements as well as the salary...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a computer engineering technologist. Get a quick view of the...
Discover computer software engineering programs offered at two top schools. Learn about school rankings and student...
Explore the education and skills a computer engineer needs. Learn about work duties and employment outlook as well as salary to...
- Computer Systems Engineer: Job & Career Info
- Be a Computer Network Engineer: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Associate of Computer Engineering Technology: Degree Overview
- Career Info for a Degree in Educational and Curriculum Supervision
- Careers in Archaeology: Education Opportunities and Requirements
- Political Economics Career Options and Education Requirements
- Convention Services Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Computer Engineer: Starting a Career in Computer Engineering
- Master of Computer Engineering: Degree Overview
- Most Progressive Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Bruce Vinik on Study.com: A College Admissions Counselor Reminds Us to Slow Down
- IRS Auditor: Job Description & Requirements
Perfect School Search
- B - L
- L - O
- P - W
- Nearby States