Online computer software programmer courses, which can be taken totally online, cover a wide range of topics having to do with writing, testing, improving, tailoring and repairing computer software. Different areas of computer software programming that may be covered in online courses include game programming, desktop publishing, software engineering, Web development and systems analysis.
Courses may be part of a specialized certificate or degree program, such as an associate's, bachelor's or master's degree program in computer science or software engineering. Given the quickly evolving nature of the field, online continuing education opportunities may also be available in the form of individual courses.
Since computer programming is such a technically specialized field, individual online courses can have very specific computer requirements. Students should check with their school prior to course enrollment to be sure they have the appropriate hardware and software components.
Online Computer Software Programmer Courses
The descriptions below detail some commonly offered online computer software programming courses.
- Intro to Programming Course: This course offers a survey of various software development process, design methods, programming languages and techniques. Included is an overview of the terminology, historical context, strengths and weaknesses, methodologies and characteristics of major contemporary programming languages. Different software development methods, such as structure and object-oriented design, are also discussed.
- C++ Programming Course: Students investigate the history and philosophy of the C++ programming language and its wide applicability, standards library, operators and processes. Different uses, from programming systems or application software to video games are considered. Also included is a survey of more advanced features like operator loading, preprocessing, lexical analysis, code generation and templates. To take part in this course, students must have access to a C++ compiler.
- Software Engineering Course: Software design architecture, patterns and modules are covered in this course. Development processes, object-oriented capturing requirements, life cycle modeling and the application of formal specifications are also discussed. Included is an overview of software verification and testing practices as well as a survey of selected software engineering methods and tools.
- Web Development Course: Web development terms, standards, history, layout, organization and distribution methods are introduced. Students learn how to use X/HTML and CSS coding to make simple pages with an authoring program. Accessibility and usability are also discussed, along with how to use a graphics editor to create images appropriate for Web use. To participate in this course, students need a Web authoring program and a graphics editor.
- Java Programming Course: Students in this course are introduced to the fundamentals of Java software and the Java programming language. This course gives students a basic foundation in coding, designing and debugging programs with Java.