Culinary Classes: Top Schools with Culinary Arts Programs - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix has few schools with programs in culinary arts. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
Phoenix has eight schools that offer culinary arts programs. Based on program offerings, accreditations, and learning facilities, the top three schools in Phoenix for culinary arts are:
- Winner: Scottsdale Community College has been awarded accreditation by the American Culinary Federation and offers certificate and associate's degree programs.
- Runner Up #1: Phoenix College offers the highest graduation rate of the three schools, earning it the 1st runner-up position.
- Runner Up #2: Estrella Mountain Community College (EMCC) offers lab-based certificate and associate's degree program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Scottsdale Community College||Phoenix College||Estrella Mountain Community College|
|Location||Scottsdale (19.8 miles from downtown Phoenix)||Phoenix||Avondale (20.5 miles from downtown Phoenix)|
|School Type||2-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$1,854 (in-state), $7,638 (out-of-state)*||$1,854 (in-state), $7,638 (out-of-state)*||$1,854 (in-state), $7,638 (out-of-state)*|
|Culinary Arts Programs Offered||Certificates; associate's degrees||Certificates; associate's degrees||Certificates; associate's degrees|
|Culinary Arts Degrees and/or Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||71*||19*||14*|
|Most Popular Culinary Arts Program (2011-2012)||1-2 Year Certificate in Culinary Arts/Chef Training (51 awarded)*||Associate in Culinary Arts/Chef Training (7 awarded)*||1-Year Certificate in Baking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef (7 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2008 Entering Class||17%*||19%*||16%*|
|Noteworthy||Culinary program is the first in the nation to offer a unique online component**||Campus is completely tobacco-free||Scholarships available for unpaid internships|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **Scottsdale Community College
Winner: Scottsdale Community College
- Facilities include 10,000 square-feet of state-of-the-art teaching kitchens
- Several online courses available
- Class sizes are limited to 36 students for beginning students and 15 students in the professional program
Scottsdale Community College boasts accreditation by the American Culinary Federation, low student-to-faculty ratios of 12:1, and the ability to choose from a number of culinary programs. The college offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in culinary fundamentals, culinary arts, and advanced professional culinary arts, as well as certificate programs in the same fields. Additionally, a number of courses are available online or as open enrollment classes. Courses include food service sanitation, food cost, purchasing, garde manger, pastry production, and food service nutrition. Students hone their skills in the Artichoke Grill Lunch Restaurant and the Desert Oasis dining room, both of which are open to the public. Students may further their education by transferring their earned credits to other select schools.
Runner-Up #1: Phoenix College
- Child care programs available during Fall and Spring semesters
- Culinary Society club meets monthly in the Culinary Café
- Day, afternoon, evening, and weekend classes available
Phoenix College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in both culinary studies and food service administration. The college also offers certificate programs in commercial baking, commercial food preparation, professional food & beverage service, and food service administration. Students learn and practice in the Phoenix College Culinary Café, a fine-dining venue open to the public for gourmet lunches three days a week. Within the degree program in culinary studies, students complete coursework in professional cooking, garde manger, menu planning, baking techniques, and purchasing. Completion of a professional cooking practicum is required as well.
Runner-Up #2: Estrella Mountain Community College
- Associate's degree students log over 500 hours in a fully equipped kitchen
- The program uses lab-based courses to provide hands-on experience
Estrella Mountain Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in culinary studies, as well as certificate programs in baking and pastry, basic culinary studies, and culinary studies. Within the associate's degree program, students delve into nutrition, gourmet foods, professional cooking, and baking techniques. Students also complete management courses in food costs, food production, quality sanitation management, and restaurant management. Students practice their skills by working in the on-campus student-run restaurant, Regions.
Related to Culinary Classes: Top Schools with Culinary Arts Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- Recently Updated
Programs in culinary arts typically cover catering, nutrition and sustainable food theory. Find out about the curricula of...
Students interested in studying culinary arts in Lexington, KY, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top...
Find information about culinary arts and services programs, through which aspiring chefs can learn how to create menus, prepare...
Degrees in culinary arts or culinary services typically cover food service management, baking and pastry arts, culinary math,...
- Top Culinary Arts Program in Miramar, FL
- Culinary Arts Vs. Restaurant Management: What's the Difference
- Bachelor of Culinary Arts: Degree Overview
- Commercial Truck Driver: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Health Care Advertiser: Job Description, Requirements and Career Info
- Magazine Photographer: Job Duties, Salary and Outlook
- Salary and Career Info for a Digital Designer
Perfect School Search
- Arizona Cities
- Nearby States