Doctor of Natural Health: Degree Overview
Get information on doctoral degree programs in naturopathic medicine. Learn about prerequisites, courses and licensing to make an informed decision about your education.
Doctoral degree programs in naturopathic medicine are typically based on the holistic philosophy that every part of a system is tied to the rest and that any action on any part of that system affects the whole. Prospective naturopathic doctors spend four years in a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine program studying a combination of traditional Western medical science and naturopathic medicine. Students might undertake supervised clinical practice at on- or off-campus sites where they can practice what they've learned about nutrition, homeopathic medicine, acupuncture, botanical medicine and counseling patients.
After completing a doctoral program, aspiring practitioners of natural medicine complete a residency program, working with patients in increasing levels of responsibility. Licensing requirements in this field vary by state.
Like many doctor preparation programs, schools offering a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree require applicants to hold a bachelor's degree. Students may come from any educational background, but should be strong believers in the effectiveness of natural medicine. The Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges suggests that pursuing a bachelor's degree with a science major or pre-medical track may be helpful (www.aanmc.org).
Programs prepare students to integrate natural healing techniques with established medical science. The curriculum balances naturopathic classes with a traditional science core of biology, physiology and anatomy, as well as pharmacology, obstetrics and gynecology, dermatology, pathology and diagnosis, oncology and minor surgery techniques. Students also learn about the philosophy and principles behind various natural modes of illness and disease prevention and natural healing. Naturopathic courses may cover:
- Clinical naturopathic diagnosis
- History of naturopathic medicine
- Homeopathic diagnosis and treatment
- Issues of consulting practice
- Natural approaches to childbirth
- Therapeutic nutritional approaches
Popular Career Options
Many naturopathic doctors choose to teach how a healthy lifestyle can create more energy and positive feelings. As holistic health practitioners working in varied environments, naturopathic doctors use nutrition, herbs and mind/body therapies to serve patients directly or indirectly in careers like:
- Naturopathic primary care physician
- Natural medicine research scientist
- Corporate wellness consultant
- Public health administrator
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lumps naturopathic physicians with health diagnosing and treatment practitioners, all other, and this group is projected to see 20% growth in employment from 2012-2022. The average annual wages of these workers were $85,740 in May 2012.
Residency and Licensing Requirements
After completing a degree program, aspiring naturopathic doctors may complete a residency program. As the residency progresses, students take on a more active role in providing patient care, under the supervision of a professional doctor of natural health.
Naturopathic doctors do not have licensing requirements in all states. For states requiring licenses, the Nauturopathic Physicians Licensing Examination (NPLEX) is designed to fulfill that requirement. Some states may also require continuing education in order to maintain licensing.
Related to Doctor of Natural Health: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a certified natural health consultant. Research the job description and the education requirements and find...
There are several types of certificate programs that train natural health and wellness consultants, offering instruction in...
Get information on Doctor of Naturopathy (ND) and Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM) programs. Make an informed...
Learn about courses and prerequisites for a master's degree program in natural health. Find out about job prospects, salary...
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Natural Health Degree Overview
- Natural Health Adult Education: An Overview
- Natural Health Masters Degree Program Information
- Career Information for a Degree in Business Management
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Veterinary Science
- Bank Underwriter: Profile of a Career in Bank Loan Underwriting
- Summary of Oklahoma Colleges, Universities, & Career Schools
- Health Consequences College Students Should Consider Before Drinking
- List of High-Paying Health Professions: Career Overviews
- Salary and Career Info for Aviation Maintenance Technology Specialists
- Biotech Project Manager: Job Duties and Education Requirements
- Analyst and Application Designer: Job Description and Requirements