Earning Your Colorado High School Diploma!

Colorado residents who wish to earn a high school diploma have one option available to them. Local school districts may offer adult education programs the prepare them to take the GED test.

How to Earn a Colorado High School Diploma Through Your Local School District

As of 2014, Colorado has eliminated competency-based adult education programs and Colorado high school diplomas for adults, replacing it with Adult Education programs. Depending on where you live in Colorado, you may enroll through a school district, a community college or private school to take courses that help you prepare for the GED (General Educational Development) test.

Contact your local school district to find out if these options are available in your area. For general information about adult education in Colorado, visit the Colorado Department of Education's website (http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult).

Adult Education

Adult education programs are offered by various county schools, libraries or community colleges. In an adult high school, students who are 18 years and older may attend traditional classes. Adult education programs offer registration periodically throughout the year. Prospective students usually must first attend an orientation and take a pre-test and also provide official transcripts to document course credits already earned at other schools. They must also have withdrawn from school at least 30 days prior to registration.

Adult education students may attend classes in the morning or evening and attendance is generally required. School instructors check assignments, give course exams and provide tutoring as needed. Coursework prepares students to take the GED.

Tuition varies for adult high school programs depending on the county, but those who are under 21 may only need to pay registration dues or pay a reduced tuition. In addition to registration fees, students who are over 21 years are generally required to pay tuition varying from around $50 to over $150, with some programs offering tuition reduction after the first quarter. You can contact your local school district to learn more about adult high schools in your community or visit the online directory of available programs at (http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/aefldirectory.)

Search Degrees, Careers, or Schools