Fashion Illustration Major: Bachelors Degree Program Information
See some of the required courses in a bachelor's degree program in fashion design, which can lead to a career as a fashion illustrator. Look at career paths, continuing education information and common prerequisites.
Although there a limited number of fashion illustration programs at the bachelor's degree level, students can declare a major in fashion design, which provides the educational background and skills necessary to develop, illustrate and produce new and creative apparel designs. While any art experience is desirable, most programs only require that students have high diploma diplomas.
A fashion illustrator is responsible for sketching out plans for new designs for clothing, shoes and other apparel. Such sketches are often the first step used in perfecting the practical elements of a fashion line's design, patterns and textures before it goes into physical production. Students can learn the skills of fashion illustration, sketching and production while enrolled in a bachelor's degree program in fashion design, such as the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Fashion Design and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Fashion Design,
Fashion design majors often spend classroom hours studying the fashion industry as well as trends in textiles, sewing procedures, patterns, colors and more. They also spend studio time sketching out fashion illustrations, creating new designs and developing portfolios of work.
Most 4-year degree programs in fashion design are offered through universities and institutions of art and design. Such schools generally require incoming freshmen to hold high school diplomas, transcripts that include art or related coursework and relatively high scores on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT.
A degree program in fashion design includes courses that cover the theoretical, practical and creative elements of apparel design. Some of these courses might include:
- Fashion construction techniques
- Fashion illustration and drawing
- Fashion illustration studio
- Computers for fashion design
- Contemporary fashion
- Fashion in history and culture
Popular Career Options
A degree in fashion design can prepare individuals interested in fashion illustration for several careers in the industry. Some of these might include:
- Fashion line illustrator
- Fashion apparel designer
- Footwear designer
- Accessories designer
- Graphic designer
- Fashion editor
Continuing Education Options
A master's degree in fashion design, such as the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Fashion Design or MFA in Fashion Illustration, can provide students with an advanced understanding of the new trends and techniques emerging in today's global fashion industry. Programs at this level allow fashion illustrators and designers more opportunity to expand on their own creative visions and boost their professional portfolios. Fashion illustrators who are interested in improving their artistic skills might also consider enrolling in master's degree programs in drawing, fine arts, photography or a similar field.
Related to Fashion Illustration Major: Bachelors Degree Program Information
- Recently Updated
Find information about academic requirements, career outlook and salary potential for fashion illustrators. Learn what types of...
Fashion illustrators produce drawings that depict clothing and accessories. Their work may appear as part of editorial or...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a fashion marketer. Get a quick overview of the requirements as well...
Learn how to become a fashion stylist. Research the education requirements, training information, and experience required for...
- Fashion Product Development: Education and Career Roadmap
- How to Become a Fashion Marketing Director: Career Roadmap
- Online Fashion Merchandising Certificate and Diploma Info
- Leaders in Literacy: Study.com Speaks With the Director of SCALE
- Salary and Career Info for a Network Security Administrator
- Best New Face in Free Education: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Setting Students Up for Success with Study.com's Courses
- Fashion Merchandise Buyer: Job Description & Career Info
- Schools for Aspiring Fashion Buyers: How to Choose
- Study.com 2010 Scholarship Winners: Graduate-Level Distance Learning
- Gambling on Math: Study.com Speaks with Professor Robert Hannum
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with IE University