Top School in Austin for a Business Finance Degree
Students interested in studying business finance in Austin, TX, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top local schools' degree programs, tuition and ranking info to find the right one for you.
School and Ranking Information
Most schools in or near Austin, TX, offer finance as an area of concentration within a business administration program rather than a standalone program. The following three universities are considered the top schools in Austin for business finance programs based on rankings, school types and number of degrees conferred:
- Winner: The University of Texas at Austin is considered the top school because it awards the highest number of combined bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in finance and because it is the largest postsecondary institution in Austin providing these studies. It also has the highest national ranking among the schools.
- Runner Up #1: Its regional rankings and number of finance bachelor's degrees conferred lands Texas State University - San Marcos in the #2 spot. The university also boasts the second-highest student enrollment among Austin area schools with finance programs.
- Runner Up #2: Saint Edward's University is named to the third spot, also because of its high regional ranking. The school also has the second-highest graduation rate among the three schools discussed here. Finance studies are offered through the university's bachelor's and master's degree programs in business administration.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||The University of Texas at Austin||Texas State University - San Marcos||Saint Edward's University|
|Rankings|| #52 national university (2014), |
#6 undergraduate business program in finance (2013),
#14 graduate business program in finance (2013)*
| #51 regional university in the West (2014), |
#13 top public school in the West (2014),
#194 undergraduate business program (2013)*
| #15 regional university in the West (2014),|
#3 up-and-coming school in the West (2014)*
|Location||Austin, TX||San Marcos, TX (29.8 miles from Austin)||Austin, TX|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)|| $9,790 (in-state, undergraduate), |
$33,128 (out-of-state, undergraduate);
$10,918 (in-state, graduate),
$20,790 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $7,732 (in-state, undergraduate), |
$16,858 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**
| $31,110 (undergraduate); |
|Finance Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Finance Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||310**||120**||23**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||79%**||55%**||69% (22% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||Business school accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools Business (AACSB)||Accredited by AACSB||Offers an honors program|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of Texas at Austin
- The Financial Analysts Program (FAP) is a 1-year program that offers undergraduate students an opportunity to work with graduate students and faculty members
- A business honors program is available
The University of Texas at Austin offers a Bachelor of Business Administration with a major in finance. Students in this program choose from either a general track or from specialized tracks in energy finance, corporate finance and investment banking, real estate, financial markets/banking, investment management or quantitative finance. Upper-division finance courses include banking and economic conditions, business finance, investment management, money and capital markets and international finance. Students are also required to participate in an internship and practicum.
UT at Austin also offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance with concentrations available in corporate finance, investment management, energy finance, real estate finance and private equity finance. The Ph.D. in Finance program admits 3-6 students per year.
Runner Up #1: Texas State University - San Marcos
- The Institute for Global Business offers students an opportunity to learn about international business
- Student organizations include the Financial Management Association and the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
- The Kappa Eta Chapter of the Beta Alpha Si (BAS) honor society at Texas State University - San Marcos has been recognized as a superior chapter by the national BAS honor society
Texas State University - San Marcos offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance that requires students to complete a minimum of 120 credits. Finance courses in the program cover topics in real estate, business finance, financial management, investment analysis, retirement planning, portfolio management, treasury and capital management. Students also have an opportunity to take part in an investment fund practicum.
Runner Up #2: Saint Edward's University
- Kozmetsky Center of Excellence in Global Finance hosts speakers and events on themes related to finance
- Facilities at the School of Management and Business include Trustee Hall, which features 15 technology-equipped classrooms and a 24-hour computer lab
Students enrolled in the finance major at Saint Edward's University learn how to apply financial theories and concepts into real world scenarios. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance curriculum includes finance courses in federal taxation, international finance, financial planning, financial management and real estate finance.
The MBA in Finance program features core coursework in accounting, financial management, global management, marketing and investment planning. Electives offer students an opportunity to learn about corporate finance, portfolio management, taxation and global finance. Students also must complete a capstone project.
Related to Top School in Austin for a Business Finance Degree
- Recently Updated
Explore certificate programs that include business finance coursework. Read about prerequisites and review common careers....
Business finance, often known as either corporate finance or simply as finance, deals with managing money for private or public...
Read about degree programs in finance, which can be found at many business schools around the country. Learn about the academic...
Online business finance courses are available within degree programs at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree levels....
- Business Finance Degree Program Overviews by Degree Level
- Top Ranked School for Accounting and Business Finance - San Jose, CA
- Top Degrees in Business Finance and Accounting - Las Vegas, NV
- Ayurveda Practitioner: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Top Schools for Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Career Options Within the Department of Juvenile Justice
- Career Information for a Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Business: Online Finance Degree
- Top School in San Bernardino, CA, for Finance Degrees
- Protective Service Worker: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Careers in Forensic Biology: Job Options and Degree Requirements
- What's Required to Start a Career in Construction Management?
Perfect School Search
- A - F
- G - N
- O - W
- Nearby States