Free Online Course Info and Requirements
Free online courses in web design include training in general design and technology, as well as programming languages often used in web design. None of these free courses have credit value, nor do they involve assessment or grades. Some courses have additional software requirements, but most of these software programs are free and available through links on course websites.
Free Web Design Courses
University of Washington
- Accessible Web Design teaches students how to make websites that can be accessed by those with disabilities. The video involves no assignments or exams, but it includes an accompanying publication and a list of resources with additional information. No credit value is assigned to this free video tutorial.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Database, Internet and Systems Integration Technologies covers many components of information technology, such as web development, networking and security. Lessons guide students through a web application design project. Readings, lecture notes, presentations and exams are available with this free, non-credit course. A download of the full course is available as a ZIP file.
University of Michigan
Carnegie Mellon University
- Media Programming teaches students to perform simple web design techniques that include loops and arrays, nested loops and graphical user interfaces. All tutorials and practice sessions are included in this free, non-credit course. This course was originally taught to non-computer science students. To take the course, students must have the software programs Java 1.4 or above, DrJava and Flash Player downloaded and installed.
University of California - Berkeley
The Knight Digital Media Center at UC - Berkeley offers a number of online tutorials that were originally developed for graduate journalism students at the school. These free, non-credit tutorials are available for use by anyone.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Graphics
- Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Web Page and Digital Design
Free Web Programming Courses
Utah State University
Utah State University offers a free, non-credit version of the course Flash. Students must have access to the software for the course, and a free 30-day trial can be downloaded from the course site.
- Flash covers how to use Flash 8. Students learn how to use Flash for creating animated graphics, sound and video in web design. This course is for students who have no experience with Flash, but it also gives homework options for those who have some experience with the software. The course comes with lecture notes, assignments, a final project and other resources. These lessons are available in a video tutorial format.
- Introduction to Flash MX trains students to create streaming animation, graphics and sound commonly used in web design. Lessons, assignments, exams and other resources are included with this free, non-credit course. The Introduction to Flash MX course from Foothill College is located on the Sofia Open Content website. Students who don't have the Macromedia Flash MX software can download a 30-day free trial for use during the course.
Orange Coast College
Sofia Open Content offers a free, non-credit course in Java Programming, courtesy of Orange Coast College.
- Java Programming teaches students object-oriented programming with Java through 14 lessons, assignments and resources. To take the course, students should be computer literate, though programming experience is not necessary.
Utah State University
- Learn and Apply HTML teaches students how to use HTML and CSS for creating colors, backgrounds, forms, graphics and HTML tags used in web design. Students need to have Macromedia Flash Player, Windows Media Player and a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client for the course. Lessons, assignments, quizzes and a final project are included in this course.