Geriatric Care Management Certificate and Training Programs Info
Read about geriatric care management certificate programs. See educational prerequisites, program coursework, employment prospects and salary statistics.
Geriatric care managers work in long-term nursing facilities and home health services to manage the care of elderly patients. Aspiring elder care administrators can elect to enroll in a Geriatric Care Management Certificate program that is designed to teach experienced nurses and social services workers how to work with elderly populations. Students might gain a broad overview of gerontology while also learning about the psychology, biology, and sociology related to the aging process.
Most geriatric care management certificate programs are designed for professionals who already have a basic knowledge of either patient care or counseling. Programs aim to teach these workers how to apply those skills to the assessment, treatment, and management of the elderly. National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers may award certifications to those who display the requisite knowledge and skills.
A bachelor's degree or at least five years of professional experience working as a registered nurse or social worker are the primary requirement for gaining admission into a geriatric care management certificate program. A resume and a copy of college transcripts are other common requirements.
A graduate certificate program in geriatric care management applies the concepts of patient care and healthcare management to geriatric patients. Students learn how to conduct a client interview, address dementia and depression, communicate with patients and family members, monitor patient care, and handle any legal and ethical issues that arise in each patient's case. Core courses might include:
- Introduction to gerontology
- Community resources for geriatric care management
- The aging process
- Performing geriatric assessment
- Dementia and depression
- Communication with caregivers and family
- Geriatric care management ethics and laws
- Business aspects of geriatric care management
Employment Prospects and Salary Info
Geriatric care managers can oversee the staff and business operations for elderly care in settings which include:
- Nursing homes
- Home health services
- General hospitals
- Private clinics
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the number of working medical and health services managers was expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020. This faster-than-average growth may be attributed, in part, to an aging baby-boomer population. The average salary for all medical and health services managers was $98,460 as of 2012, reports the BLS.
The National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers offers certification for its members. The organization offers the Certified Geriatric Care Manager (CGCM) credential to individuals who have earned a formal higher education, who have completed supervised work experience in the field, and who have gained certification as care managers or social workers from other associations.
Related to Geriatric Care Management Certificate and Training Programs Info
- Recently Updated
Find out what geriatric care managers do. See what the education and training requirements are. Get the details about career...
Distance learning college programs can provide flexible opportunities to train for leadership positions in child care. Students...
Research child care management associate's degree programs. Get information about courses, requirements, career options and...
Child care management programs prepare students to work in child care centers and early childcare education programs. Continue...
- Online Day Care Management Certificate and Degree Program Info
- Optical Network Management Training, Education and Career Info
- Salary and Career Info for a Master of Engineering Management
- Radio Astronomy Education and Career Information
- Movie Critic: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Job Description of an Advertising Director
- Public Affairs Officer: Job Description and Education Information
- Salary Info for an MBA in Global Management: What Do Graduates Earn?
- Salary & Career Info for a Disaster & Emergency Management Master's
- Webmaster - CIW Certificate Programs
- Business Communications Careers: Job Description, Requirements & Salary Info
- Jobs and Career Info for a Masters Degree in Photography