Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Programs
Learn about degree programs for the holistic health nurse practitioner. Continue reading for educational prerequisites, program coursework and popular career options.
A nurse practitioner is an advanced practice nurse who has earned a master's degree in a particular specialty, such as acute care or geriatric nursing. A Master of Science in Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner program can prepare graduates to become nurse practitioners who specialize in holistic or complementary forms of healing.
Such advanced degree programs generally take about two years to complete and include more than 1,000 hours of clinical experience. They often combine traditional adult nurse practitioner training with specific holistic health courses. Students learn how to promote a patient's overall spiritual, physical and mental well-being, while also learning to perform advanced practice nursing duties.
Students may have opportunities to conduct further research in the area of holistic nursing and to explore teaching opportunities. Graduates are eligible to sit for the Adult Nurse Practitioner Certification examination as well as the American Holistic Nurses Association certification examination.
Only licensed registered nurses (RNs) are eligible to enroll in a Master of Science in Nursing degree program with a focus on holistic care. Interested students should also submit a resume of clinical experience, college transcripts and letters of recommendation from clinical supervisors.
A master's degree program in holistic nursing includes courses that cover nurse practitioner duties and clinical roles as well as specific holistic practices such as herbology and stress management. Some examples of courses include:
- Theories of advanced practice nursing
- Research in nursing
- Holistic nursing theories
- Advanced pathophysiology
- Stress management in healthcare
- Comprehensive physical assessment
- Integrative medicine
- Holistic primary care of adults
- Holistic primary care clinical practicum
- Advanced holistic assessment
Popular Career Options
Advanced practice nurse practitioners with a specialization in holistic health can find employment in a variety of organizations. Some of these include:
- General hospitals
- Private clinics
- Physicians' offices
- Health policy development departments
- Home health agencies
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, all registered nurses, including nurse practitioners, are projected to see a 26% increase in employment opportunities from 2010-2020. The mean annual wages for nurse practitioners were $91,450 in May 2012.
The American Holistic Nurses Association directs nurse practitioners to gain certification through the American Holistic Nurses Certification Corporation (AHNCC). The organization offers three credentials, including Holistic Nurse, Board Certified (HN-BC), Advanced Holistic Nurse, Board Certified (AHN-BC) and Holistic Baccalaureate Nurse, Board Certified (HBN-BC).
Related to Holistic Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Programs
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a nurse practitioner. Research the education requirements, training and licensure information and...
An individual interested in enrolling in a holistic health practitioner certificate program can find similar or identical...
Learn how to become a holistic health practitioner. Research the education requirements, training, licensure information and...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an occupational health nurse practitioner. Get a quick view of the...
- Certified Holistic Health Counselor: Job Duties and Requirements
- Animal Holistic Health Degree and Training Program Options
- Holistic Health Educator: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Jobs for Emergency Management Professionals: Career Outlook
- Hebrew Translator: Career and Education Information
- Be a Nurse Epidemiologist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Public Safety & Security Doctoral Degree Program Overviews
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Certification and Degree Programs
- MSN in Women's Health Nurse Practitioner: Degree Overview
- Associate in Business: General Business Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Health Care Administration Degree Overview
- Associate of Computer Graphic Design: Degree Overview