School and Ranking Information
There is a limited amount of schools offering hospitality management programs in the Sacramento area. The following schools are considered the top three within a 100-miles radius based on location, rankings and available programs:
- Winner: University of San Francisco, located in San Francisco, secured first place for its ranking near the top 100 universities in the nation in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report and its graduation rate of 70%.
- Runner Up #1: California State University at Sacramento came in second for its multiple degree levels offered in hospitality management and its location.
- Runner Up #2: California State University in Hayward got third place for its top-40 ranking for public institutions in the West in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report, in-state and out-of-state tuition rates and number of hospitality management degrees awarded.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of San Francisco||California State University - Sacramento||California State University - East Bay|
|Rankings|| 106th among national universities in 2013,
117th among best undergraduate business programs in 2012*
| 62nd among regional universities (West) in 2013,
233rd among best undergraduate business programs in 2012*
| 37th among top Western regional public schools in 2013,
86th among regional universities (West) in 2013*
|Location||San Francisco, CA (89.6 miles from downtown Sacramento)||Sacramento, CA||Hayward, CA (98.3 miles away from downtown Sacramento)|
|School Type||Four-year; private not-for-profit||Four-year; public||Four-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-13)||$38,884 (undergraduate)**|| $6,620 (in-state, undergraduate),
$18,278 (out-of-state, undergraduate),
$7,868 (in-state, graduate),
$17,414 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $6,309 (in-state, undergraduate),
$17,967 (out-of-state, undergraduate),
$7,806 (in-state, graduate),
$17,362 (out-of-state, graduate)**
|Hospitality Management Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Hospitality Management Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||28**||56 for parks, recreation and leisure studies (hospitality management not specified)**||40**|
|Most Popular Hospitality Management Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Hospitality Administration/Management (28 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies (48 awarded)**||Bachelor's in Hospitality Administration/Management (28 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2005 Entering Class||70%**||42%**||43%**|
|Noteworthy||Access to regional tourist, business and convention destinations||Oldest accredited recreation and parks program in the California State University system||Program offered through hybrid, online and traditional formats|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Resort Management
- Resort, Hotel, Motel, and Spa Management
- Restaurant Mgmt
- Travel and Tourism Management
Winner: University of San Francisco
- Areas of teaching focused on global meetings and events, sustainability and quality of life
- Students gain industry experience through an 800-hour internship
- Various on-campus hospitality management clubs and organizations host signature events
The University of San Francisco offers a hospitality management program that it considers one of the premier boutique programs in the country. Offered through the School of Management, this program utilizes the tourism, business and convention industries found in San Francisco Bay Area to expose, teach and inspire students about the hospitality industry. A hospitality industry advisory board comprised of industry leaders, as well as two faculty members dedicated to the field, guides this program. Students complete a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program including courses in service management, revenue optimization and hospitality. Students may choose a track in meeting and event management or hotel and restaurant management.
Runner-Up #1: California State University - Sacramento
- Offers three concentrations including a concentration in commercial recreation, tourism and hospitality management
- Program requires 600 hours of pre-internship and a 400-hour internship
- School is part of the California State University system
Sacramento State offers hospitality management training as a concentration within its Bachelor of Science in Recreation Administration program. Offered through the Recreation, Parks and Tourism Administration Department, the commercial recreation, tourism and hospitality management concentration focuses on entrepreneurial business operations and administration. In addition to required internships, students complete coursework in commercial recreation, conference and event planning, hospitality administration and recreation administration.
The 30-credit master's degree in recreational administration program is designed for students who already hold an undergraduate degree or minor in recreation. Students complete required courses in leisure concepts, policies and problems in recreation and tourism, administration and research methods, as well as a culminating experience.
Runner-Up #2: California State University - East Bay
- Program is designed to serve both on-campus and online students
- Various hospitality, recreation and tourism scholarship opportunities are available
California State University - East Bay, located within the San Francisco Bay Area, offers a bachelor's degree program in hospitality and tourism through the Department of Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism. The six faculty members within the Department of Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism are experienced professionals who encourage students to participate in research projects so they can put academic theory into practice. Within the 180-credit bachelor's program, students complete 40 departmental units and 54 hospitality and tourism core requirements, including an internship and senior project. The university offers a master's degree in recreation and tourism that is completely online.