How Long Is a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering?
The time it takes to complete a master's degree in electrical engineering can vary. The length of a program depends upon the curriculum, institution and delivery format. Read ahead to gain more information about this program.
Program Length of a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering
The two types of master's degrees in electrical engineering are the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) and the Master of Electrical Engineering (MEE). Most programs take two to three years to complete, but for students who are interested in performing extended research or who are working, it may take upwards of five years. Students must continue to show progress throughout the degree program.
Thesis and non-thesis options are available. Non-thesis programs require students to complete a comprehensive exam at the conclusion of a program.
What Classes Do Students Take?
Some general course topics in the master's program include information theory, computer networks, wireless networking, circuit analysis and design, semiconductors, digital electronics, electromagnetic fields and electronic packaging design. Students often choose an area of concentration as well. These areas may include telecommunications engineering, photonics, wireless communications, electromagnetics, communications systems, microelectronic circuits and systems biology.
Electrical engineers work in a variety of settings, including IT consulting firms, electric companies and the semiconductor and aerospace industries. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), as of May 2012, the median salary reported for electrical engineers was $87,920. Other possible job opportunities for graduates include researcher, associate professor, network engineer, systems engineer, project engineer and design engineer.
Employment of electrical engineers was predicted to grow five percent between 2012 and 2022, reported the BLS. A demand for wireless phone transmitters, navigation systems, generators and other electrical devices will drive much of the growth.
Related to How Long Is a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering?
- Recently Updated
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an electrical engineer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well...
Prospective electrical engineers can earn a bachelor's degree in the subject. Review the following program summary to learn...
Electrical engineering (EE) encompasses a wide range of topics and fields from computer engineering to electrical architecture....
Learn about the work responsibilities of a electrical engineer. Find out what education and skills are necessary as well as...
- Career Info for an Electrical Engineering or Electronics Degree
- Career Information for a Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ
- Career Information for a Degree in Audio Visual Technologies
- Promoting Student Success: Study.com Speaks With Minds Matter
- Wisconsin (WI): Colleges and Universities Overview
- Small School, Big Value: Study.com Speaks With a Student at SUNY Geneseo
- Top Schools for Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering: Online Degree
- Nursing Student Michelle Rex Wins Study.com's Textbooks for a Year Scholarship
- Special Event Management Career Info and Requirements
- Desk Editor: Job Description, Salary and Requirements