How to Become a Digital Imaging Technician
Learn how to become a digital imaging technician. Research the education and career requirements and experience required for starting a career in digital imaging technology.
Do I Want to Be a Digital Imaging Technician?
Digital imaging technicians assist cinematographers with the digital technology used in a film or television production. Technicians ensure that any digital images taken during the shoot are high in quality and scope. Like many jobs associated with the entertainment industry, competition is often strong. The work may also involve working long or irregular hours on movie and television sets.
While there are no specific educational requirements to become a digital imaging technician, pursuing a degree at the associate's degree level my prove beneficial. In addition, gaining experience in the field may enhance opportunities and separate an applicant from the pack.
|Degree Level||Associate's degree could be beneficial*|
|Degree Name||Digital imaging technology|
|Key Skills||Dexterity to operate equipment, problem-solving skills, ability to communicate **|
|Technical Skills||Must understand how to operate different types of cameras and digital equipment*|
Sources: *GetinMedia.com; **Imago
Step 1: Pursue an Associate's Degree
While there are not specific educational requirements to work as a digital imaging technician, it's is important that individuals have a strong technical background in the field. Students can pursue a digital imaging technology associate's degree and take courses in digital imaging, 2D and 3D design, animation, typography, digital video and photography.
- Participate in an internship. An internship can provide that initial experience in the field. Students participating in an internship may have an opportunity to apply knowledge they learned in the classroom into real world situations.
Step 2: Gain Job Experience
The typical source of employment for digital imaging technicians is generally in television broadcasting or the motion picture industry. Digital imaging technicians must understand digital video cameras, troubleshoot camera malfunctions, and perform on-site image manipulation or color correction. In addition to the technical side of image manipulation, digital image technicians should also have an understanding of the history of filmmaking and photography, visual arts and color theory.
Step 3: Explore Additional Opportunities
The skills and knowledge required of a digital video technician can also be applied to other careers, such as in digital image archiving or in a pre-press position. Digital image archiving or digital curating would require post-secondary education in a master's program; classes could include technical instruction on digital preservation and archiving on the Internet, as well as art history and library sciences.
With their professional experience using creative and image-manipulating software, digital image technicians who desire to work in the publishing industry can find work as prepress workers or digital proofers. Working with still images as opposed to motion pictures, digital proofers communicate with a client to ensure a high-quality image, manipulate printer settings and sample proofs to achieve their specifications.
Related to How to Become a Digital Imaging Technician
- Recently Updated
Read about certificate-level training programs for aspiring imaging technicians. Find out what imaging technicians do, what...
Research the requirements to become a medical imaging technician. Learn about the job duties and read the step-by-step process...
MRI technicians operate magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, which use magnetic fields to create images of organs and...
Read about an associate's degree program that prepares the aspiring magnetic resonance imaging technician. Learn about the...
- Digital Photography Degree and Certification Information
- Master Digital Photography in the Blogosphere: 10 Top Digital Photography Blogs
- Digital Photographer: Job & Career Info
- Don't Waste Your Money: 5 of the Most Useless Dorm Accessories
- Exercise Science Professions: Educational Requirements
- Project Read - Menlo Park Improves Communities By Promoting Literacy
- What To Do When Your Professor Is Younger Than You
- AAS in Digital Photography: Degree Overview
- Digital Photographer: How to Start a Career in Digital Photography
- Life Skills Training and Educational Programs: Helping to Make Strong Communities Through Social Services
- Best Bachelor's Degrees for an Entry-Level Job
- NYU Instructor Uses Free Online Videos to Supplement Entrepreneurship Workshop