Infectious Disease Epidemiology PhD Programs: Degree Information
Students in a Doctor of Philosophy in Epidemiology program study advanced topics in epidemiology and gain extensive experience in laboratory research methods and cutting-edge technologies.
Scientific study of the outbreak, spread and prevention of communicable diseases among certain populations, such as infants and senior citizens, is at the heart of a Ph.D. program in epidemiology. Students attend lectures while gaining valuable laboratory experience. Programs are intended for recent graduates of a master's degree program or working professionals looking for further education specifically in epidemiology.
- Prerequisites: Master's degree in epidemiology or related field
- Other Requirements: Letters of recommendation, transcripts of previously completed coursework, and standardized test scores may be needed
PhD Programs in Infectious Disease Epidemiology
Doctoral programs allow for advanced study exclusively in the area of epidemiology or related topics. Common course topics include:
- Research and statistical methods
- Clinical trial design and methodology
- Historical perspective of epidemiology
- Ethical issues in research
- Epidemiology of children and adolescents
- Epidemiology of senior citizens
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
A shortage of qualified epidemiologists, the threat of bioterrorism and instances of rare diseases, such as the West Nile virus and avian flu, are behind the projected 10% growth in employment for this field for 2012-2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS also reported that the median annual salary for epidemiologists was $67,420 in 2014.
Related to Infectious Disease Epidemiology PhD Programs: Degree Information
- Recently Updated
Read about graduate degree programs in epidemiology. Learn about program prerequisites, courses and research. Get info about...
Research the requirements to become an infection control coordinator. Learn about the job duties, and read the step-by-step...
Online classes in biostatistics usually satisfy some requirements for healthcare degrees, especially those in public health....
Cell biology courses are widely available online as part of bachelor's and master's degrees in biology, genetics and...
- Doctor of Infectious Diseases: Career Info & Education Requirements
- List of Free Online Epidemiology Courses
- Online Epidemiology Degree Programs
- Job Description of a Production Director
- Nonprofit Counselor: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Top Accounting PhD Programs: List of Schools
- Motel Manager: Education & Career Overview