Online Payroll Accounting Courses for Credit
Free online training programs focusing specifically on payroll accounting are more often found on private companies' websites. Topics relevant to payroll accounting might also be covered in free online business courses available through colleges or universities, though none of the options listed in the section below confer academic credit.
Students who would like to apply their online learning toward a degree program might want to consider the courses offered by Study.com. Every class includes free lesson transcripts. Registered members who pay a small fee can also access video lessons and self-assessment quizzes.
Students can check out Accounting 101: Financial Accounting which includes chapters such as:
- Introduction to Accounting - Instructors address the importance of accounting, its external and internal users, GAAP standards and accounting ethics.
- Mechanics of the Accounting Cycle - This chapter covers the purposes of source documents, steps for recording transactions, the basic accounting equation and the definitions of debits and credits.
- Adjusting Accounts and Preparing Financial Statements - Lessons explain accrual and cash-basis accounting, the types of adjustments and the closing process, among other topics.
Free Online Non-Credited Payroll Accounting Courses
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
- Accounting 101 is presented through animated slides. Other materials include worksheets and a glossary.
- Basic Accounting includes articles focuses on the steps to setting up a payroll, payroll taxes and controlling payroll.
Arnold S. Grundvig, Jr.
- Bean Counting 101 introduces the student to basic accounting. It covers financial statements, loans, debit and credits, payroll, journals and general ledgers through text slides. There is also an accounting terms glossary.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Financial Accounting is a broad, comprehensive class that covers balance sheets, financial statements, cash flow and other areas in accounting and payroll. It's geared towards students interested in accounting from a management perspective. Course materials include lecture notes, recitations, midterm review, problem sets and exams (with solutions) in .pdf format.
- Introduction to the Context of Accounting provides an overview of the fundamentals of accounting from its origins to accounting information systems. The free online course includes activities (with answers) and practical examples.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Management Accounting provides users with an understanding of essential concepts in financial accounting. Topics covered include basic concepts in accounting, accounting equation, financial reports, double entry, adjusting entries and cash flow statements, among others. A video player is needed to view the lectures.
- Payroll 101 is designed as a general guide to concepts in payroll accounting. Students can also use the site as a reference to review concepts, as well as access the site's payroll glossary. Intuit is a provider of finance software and encourages the use of its products.
- Payroll Accounting focuses on payroll accounting and financial statement reporting. It covers accounting basics, such as withholding taxes and payroll journals. Quizzes, a question and answer section and example journal entries are provided, in addition to an online accounting dictionary.
Brigham Young University - Hawaii
- Quickbooks 2012 is a free video tutorial at the introductory level. It shows users transactions applicable to working in a retail shop. It also demonstrates how one could implement a manual payroll system using Quick Books.