Online Course Requirements and Information
These free online dental continuing education options are not offered for school credit and do not have official prerequisites, though they do assume a background in dental care. These courses present lectures and webinars and some may award continuing education units (CEUs). However, some states might not accept CEUs earned through online, self-directed learning, so learners should check with their state dental boards to determine CEU eligibility.
Free Online Dental Continuing Education Courses
Proctor & Gamble
Dentalcare.com, a website through Procter & Gamble, offers education, research and training to dental professionals, students and individuals interested in learning more about oral health. The site offers more than 150 free dental continuing education courses.
- Desquamative Gingivitis introduces students to this disease. Students in this course will become familiar with treatment methods and patient recommendations for those suffering from desquamative gingivitis (DG).
- Overview of Dental Anatomy provides a general background in fundamental concepts of dental anatomy, such as permanent dentitions, the periodontium, and intraoral anatomy.
- Basic Pharmacology covers the importance of prescription drugs, as students learn about pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic concepts as they relate to dentistry.
Colgate Oral Health Network
Colgate Oral Health Network offers an extensive online library of continuing education webinars that professionals in the dentistry field can use to review previously learned skills and stay up-to-date on contemporary issues in the field. Both live and on-demand webinars are available.
- Medical Complexity in Older Adults: Impact on Dental Care explores the basic principles of geriatric medicine, sensory changes among older adults and how these can impact dentistry and dental hygiene practices.
- Injection /Local Anesthesia for the Pediatric Patient analyzes the ways that contemporary dentists can treat difficult pediatric patients.
- Toothwhitening and Shade Selection goes over methods for identifying tooth shades for restorative and whitening procedures. Students can also learn about factors that effect the apparent color of teeth and how to accurately record tooth shade.