Online Financial Accounting Courses for Credit
While free courses in financial accounting can help students learn without the requirement of registration or tuition, these courses do not provide college credit. If you're looking to earn credit for school, one option you might think about is the relatively inexpensive material offered by Study.com. The courses housed here contain engaging video lessons attached to free lesson transcripts and additional resources such as interactive practice quizzes.
Students seeking education in accounting can check out Accounting 101: Financial Accounting, which includes helpful chapters like:
- Financial Statements in Accounting - Flesh out balance sheets, income statements, and the fundamental principles of accounting.
- Internal Controls in Accounting - Learn about control of cash, earnings management, bank reconciliation, and other key topics.
- Long-Term Assets in Accounting - Improve your knowledge of calculating depreciation expense, accounting for asset disposal, intangible assets, and related accounting terminology.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting with Computers, General
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Taxation, General
Free Online Course and Training Resource Info
Students looking to complete free online courses and training should note that they won't be able to earn college credit. Students also need to complete their education on their own time. In preparation for these courses and training programs, students may want to install Adobe Acrobat Reader and Microsoft Excel in order to access some materials.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Accounting 615 covers basic accounting concepts, financial statement analysis, financial reports, cash flow statements and accounting laws.
- Financial Accounting covers debits and credits, accounting principles, cash flow statements, financial ratios and accounts receivable. Training resources include lessons, quizzes, crosswords, questions and answers, visual tutorials and word scrambles. Some materials won't be available to students unless they pay for a subscription to this website. AccountingCoach also offers managerial and cost accounting lessons.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Financial Accounting covers financial statements, balance sheets, assets, marketable securities and investments. Students can also access exams with solutions, assignments without solutions and recitations.
- Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting includes selected lecture notes, exams with solutions and assignments with solutions; a list of optional readings is also available. After students complete this course, they may understand long-term assets, revenue recognition, balance sheets, cash flow statements and marketable securities.
- Financial Accounting Tutorials here provide students with reading materials, term definitions and illustrated figures. In order to access some lessons, students need to pay for a website subscription. The free tutorials provide training in accounting for accruals, double-entry accounting systems, accounting in merchandising companies and accounting for inventories.
- Influences on Accounting Regulation examines the impact of financial regulations on the financial accounting process, as well as the variables that affect accounting rules. Tax-related issues and international accounting standards are discussed, as well as the application of accounting rules from different jurisdictions. Course materials include brief lessons and an optional activity.
University of Alaska - Anchorage
- Principles of Financial Accounting covers topics like accounting information systems, merchandising options, inventories, long-term investments, equity and financial statement analysis. PowerPoint presentations are available, and students can also complete optional assignments and practice exams.