Info on Free Freight Broker Training Courses and Programs
Most freight broker training programs available online require the student to pay. However, this article gives an overview of free courses, training videos and guides that could be helpful to potential freight brokers. None of the resources discussed in this article can be taken for credit.
Free Freight Broker Training Courses and Programs
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Air Transportation Systems Architecting explains how to plan and create an air transportation system, taking into account societal, manufacturing, legal, regulatory, environmental, market, economic and technical factors. Course materials include a selection of lectures by reputable industry men and women. Topics include technical considerations for autonomous formation flying systems, economics of commercial cargo operations and avionics. Additional course materials included with the course are a team project and several student presentations.
- Economics of Marine Transportation Industries explores the economics related to marine transportation and natural resources. A few required readings are available online, but the rest must be purchased or found by the student. Course materials include selected lectures on the time value of money, liquefied natural gas shipping and fast freight ships. Additionally, there are two assignments with solutions.
- Introduction to Transportation Systems focuses on transportation systems fundamentals and effective operation. This course includes lectures on subjects like traveler transportation, freight transportation and transportation themes. This course also includes a reading list, assignments and a final exam with solutions.
- Logistics Systems takes a managerial perspective and looks at supply chains and logistics systems, along with techniques, approaches and analytical tools used in their operation and design. The focus of the course is how to reduce costs and improve supply chain performance. Course materials include most lectures and assignments. Reading materials are not provided with this course.
U.S. Census Bureau
- Export and Import Training Videos covers trade data and export strategy, planning and trade agreements, export regulations and compliance and electronic export information. Each section includes 2-10 videos covering sub-topics such as foreign trade zones, state exports and the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Global Edge Michigan State University
- Export Tutorials are categorized under the main topics of export readiness, government regulations, marketing and sales, financial considerations and logistics. Specific tutorial topics include customs brokers and freight forwarders, required export documents, export payment forms, trade leads and location of potential markets. Tutorials are in text format with associated links.
- International Trade Basics has a series of slides focusing on trade and the state of Virginia. Topics include Virginia trading partners, the changing import and export environment, globalization, assessing markets and corruptions. There are 77 slides, most of which are shorter than two minutes.
U.S. Department of Transportation
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for Broker Operations is a guide for freight brokers to help them understand and comply with the statues and regulations of the industry. This 32-page guide covers how to apply for a motor carrier number and operating authority. It also explains what happens if a broker isn't in compliance with regulations. A list of exempt commodities is among the resources included with this guide.