Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Creative Writing, General
Free Online Grant Writing Course Information
Students who want to learn about grant writing can access free online classes offered through numerous colleges and institutions. In general, the classes, training manuals and guidelines teach you how to write grants that benefit services organizations and research institutes. The classes do not award credit and students are able to work at their own pace. As part of the classes, you'll have access to assignments, such as essays and projects. The manuals and guides offer examples, writing tips and contact information for future grant writers.
- Advanced Writing Seminar is a graduate-level course that gives students the opportunity to learn about various writing styles. Notes from five lectures are provided, one of which is devoted entirely to writing grant proposals. Assignments are described and videos of several student presentations are available for download.
- Analysis of Biological Networks is focused largely on scientific topics, though one component of this graduate-level course focuses on teaching students about grant proposals. The online materials include a 15-page PDF on the grant application process, and the list of related resources provides links to sites such as the National Institutes of Health's funding opportunities page.
- Intro to Tech Communication teaches students how to write reports, literature reviews and research papers. There is also attention given to assembling grant proposals for research. The free online information from this course provides an extensive list of outside reading materials focused on writing for scientific pursuits. No lecture notes are shared online, but the related resources page includes several links to other grant writing references.
Social Science Research Council
- On the Art of Writing Proposals is designed for those interested in learning about the grant process as it relates to the social sciences. The online guide gives an overview of what grants are and offers tips for ways to make grants stand out.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency/Purdue University
- Grant Writing Tutorial helps members of nonprofit organizations learn the basics of grant writing, including how the grant process works and how to seek funding. The entire tutorial is online and allows students to see examples of grants and to compare their own mock grant proposals to the sample provided. There is also a glossary of terms that include environmental words and key phrases to help with the grant writing process.
Michigan State University
- Guide for Writing a Funding Proposal includes a complete breakdown of the grant proposal process. Students are able to see writing tips and examples for each part of a proposal, including the introduction, project proposal and evaluation sections.
University of Pittsburgh
- An Introduction to Grant Writing is an online guide that covers 16 steps in the grant writing process. The guide offers a breakdown and tips for each part of the grant proposal. There are also examples throughout the guide designed to help writers.
- Proposal Writing gives a general overview of the grant writing process and allows writers to go through a step-by-step process to create a grant application. The materials describe the components of a grant proposal: the executive summary, statement of need, project description, budget, organization information and conclusion. The class is designed to help nonprofit organizations that rely on outside funding to pay for operations and costs. By the end of the short online class, writers will generate a grant letter proposal requesting money.
National Institutes of Health
- Quick Guide for Grant Applications provides a general overview on the grant writing process from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The guide is designed specifically for people who are interested in applying for a grant through the NIH. It includes step-by-step instructions and recommendations for the entire proposal process.