Free Online Course Info
Students won't be able to receive feedback from instructors; however, free acting courses may provide text for students to download, or recommend plays and books for student use. Video or audio clips may also be available to students. Academic credits and degrees aren't available for these courses, though they could be just the ticket for students looking to learn more about acting without the trouble of registration or tuition.
Free Online Acting Course List
- Acting is a free podcast by The National Theatre of London, England for aspiring actors. Discussions topics include the importance of rehearsal, working as part of a company, the reinvention of the script, and many more.
- Stagework allows students to view actors talking about their craft or specific productions through videos. Eight events and workshops are available to view. Access is also available to lesson plans (under 'For Teachers') and videos of production rehearsals.
The Open University
- Approaching Plays goes over technical terms associated with plays through the course of 7 lessons. Topics include dialogue, stage directions, play structure and dramatic conventions. The text lessons may be printed or viewed online. In addition to the lessons, there's a terminology glossary and a suggested reading list.
Utah State University
- Classical Drama and Theatre includes text, photographs, readings, links to other resources and PowerPoint slides that appear as PDF files. Learners will study the origins of theatre/drama, Greek classical theatre, Roman comedy, Roman tragedy and late classical theatre/drama. A list of related readings is available in some lessons.
- Understanding Theatre includes text 'workshops' for areas such as theatre basics, literary arts of theatre, design arts of theatre and theatre history. Links are available for some of the assigned readings and some of the sample activities include writing a play critique and watching a play.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Theatre Arts Topics provides students with directed practice in the areas of acting and directing, also looking at the art of designing a theatre production. The course covers topics relevant to pre-rehearsal preparation through workshopping a theatre piece.
- Introduction to Drama examines a sampling of plays with various types of dramatic structure. Videos of several class sessions are available, showing performances and class discussions. Some of the required texts are available online through Project Gutenberg.
- Studies in Drama: Stoppard and Company focuses on the English dramatists, Tom Stoppard and Caryl Churchill, while addressing the topics of interpretation, literary history and performance. Select text and image materials are available in PDF format. Students interested in purchasing the texts used can find them on the required readings list.
- Voice Over Experts contains several podcasts on the topic of voice acting. Users can find out what voice acting is, how to become comfortable with their own voices, how to audition for this market and how to clarify a character's voice.